Thursday, October 11, 2007

unfair

i've been reading through leviticus lately-
i got to the part about the animal sacrifices,
and it just seemed unfair.
i mean, part of it is sort of beautiful-
people want to show their worship and love for God-
so they take the very best of their flocks
and offer them to God.
and there is this big cookout
and the smoke rises to God
and He enjoys the smell of the barbecue
and the smell of the cooking meat
reminds the entire community that God is happy,
not angry.


but then there is the sacrifices for sin-
and that seems unfair-
a human commits a crime-
and a cow's neck is slit.
a man sins-
and a sheep pays for it.
it seems unfair-
but then again,
grace, by definition is unfair.
grace is when we receive a gift
that we do not deserve.


it reminded me of jesus' wounds and death-
i sinned, He paid for it.
i committed a crime- His body was slain.
i'm the sinner-
He is the lamb that take my sin away.
yeah-
grace is unfair-
and i'm so grateful for it.


"amazing grace!
how sweet the sound-
that saved a wretch-



"but God demonstrates his own love for us in this:
while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
-romans 5

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

thought provoking. I have often felt that Jesus shouldn't have died for me. because I continue to disappoint Him by sinning. ya know how we first come to God and vow then and there to follow Him for the rest of our lives (because we truly don't know what lies ahead) - and then when trials and tempations come we fail. we look back at our commitment and wonder what God is thinking about it. Does He look at us and say, "I shouldn't have sent my Son for you afterall...because you can't get it right." No...he doesn't say that. He is different than us. Instead He says: "But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." 2 Corinthians 12:9 & Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Ponder that.

Chella