Monday, February 2, 2009

church::gym entry 16

its been awhile since I’ve blogged. I’ve had some good ideas over the last few weeks, but everytime I start typing I change my mind.


the other day I was at the gym- I had my iPod in my ears, so I couldn’t hear anything. I stretched out, did my sit ups and push ups, and then I went over to the elliptical. there was a big, older gentleman leaning against the one I wanted to use. I could tell that he had just signed up and was getting a tour from a trainer. I could also tell that he was a people-person, because he was starting up conversations with everyone. I stepped onto the elliptical- he gave me an unpleasant look. “were you going to use this?” I asked; “no! I guess not!” he said playfully. he went back to talking to the trainer- he said, “I want to get down to about…a buck twenty-five…(or 125 pounds- which was going to be quite an accomplishment for this guy.) as soon as he said that, an older lady who was riding another elliptical shouted out, “YOU’RE GOING TO HAVE TO DIET!” the guy just stopped. then he looked over at me for support. “YOU’RE GOING TO HAVE TO DIET!” she said again, “I LOST 40 POUNDS, AND IT WAS ALL BY DIETING.” this guy looked over at me again and said, “can you believe this?” then he looked at her and said, “WHEN DID I ASK YOU FOR YOUR OPINION ABOUT MY WEIGHT LOSS?! sheesh!” she just kept it up. I told him, “that’s that way it is here, bro. everyone is helpful…”
“that’s the way it is around here.” he said.


which reminded me that sometimes when you’re at the gym, and sometimes when you’re at church, you get some advice that you didn’t ask for. I have been given all kinds of advice that I never asked for. some of it is helpful, and some not so much. but what do you do? I could be a jerk like my gym-friend, or I can be gracious. its just better to be gracious. after all, they’re just trying to be helpful (hopefully). I’ve been reading through proverbs lately and it talks all about advice. here is an excerpt: “pride leads to conflict; those who take advice are wise.” (proverbs 13:10). if the pharoah of genesis could take advice from a hebrew slave, maybe we could all take some advice from an unlikely source as well.


the guy does need to diet, but he probably didn’t want to get that advice, that way. so when you’re helping someone with a bit of advice, speak the truth in love and consider the situation.
God is love.
-rev-rob

0 comments: