Saturday, May 12, 2012

be careful what you blog about-

well, as I write this, I'm very embarrassed.
I thought that no one read this blog- and for the most part, I'm right.
however, google finds all kind of things on my blog for people who are looking for posts about them or their company.
recently, an organization that I know was googling themselves and found that I had posted something on my blog that had to do with them. what I wrote was positive, but the did not see it that way and were offended by it. I immediately took the post down and apologized. they accepted my apology and have seemed to have moved on from it. I fear that my relationship with them was damaged, and now I need to go out of my way to regain their trust, and I will. 

this is especially embarrassing because I like to think of myself as a wise old veteran, and this seems to be a rookie mistake. I had people in the last week telling me, "you know, you realy shouldn't use names in anything you put online." and htey were right. I'm just embarrassed to be on the receiving end of advice instead of the giving end.

but I will give you some advice: if you put stuff online, always ask yourself if it could be googled, taken out of context, or damage a relationship that you are trying to build. if so, choose to either leave some names out, or just post the thoughts in your journal. discretion is a good thing. I have been pondering this scripture over the last few weeks and I'll share it with you:

ephesians 5:15: "be  very careful, then, how you live —not as unwise but as wise, 16 making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. 17 Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is."
be careful and wise- there it is- right there on the pages of the bible.

I would guess that if I got the kind of attention that some of the famous bloggers got, that I would be dealing with this a lot more. I need to go through and delete anything that could damage a relationship that I have with any of my friends or family. and that might be a good thing for you too-

God is love.
-rev-rob

1 comments:

Jeff Mardock said...

I once talked about a drummer in a band in a negative way in a blog. The drummer found it and emailed me. Whoops!