Friday, February 20, 2015

staff meeting

I don't really like meetings.
I deal with a bit of social anxiety, and meetings make me a little nervous.
from time to time, we have staff meetings at church, and usually my goal is to be sort of invisible. I try to sit close to people who will do a lot of the talking or the ones I've known the longest for the sake of feeling comfortable.


this last week, we were having a lunch meeting, and I found an open spot at a table next to some old friends. but I also saw the senior pastor's stuff placed near the open spot. I've known him for a few years, but I still feel a little nervous around him. do I sit next to him and my close friends? or do I just go and sit somewhere else? I picked the friends.


well, my pastor sat down right next to me. he asked me how I was doing, and I said, "good" and then quickly asked him how he was doing- to get the attention off of myself. he chatted for awhile and then kept the conversation going. we talked a bit about his new grandchild and then he asked me what I was memorizing. I know that he likes memorizing verses too, so this was a topic that we had in common. I told him that I was working on Hebrews, and I mentioned some theological questions that my study had uncovered. its like I shot off a starter's pistol at a track meet, because he got off and running with commentary, greek grammar and insights about the book of hebrews. and he didn't even have to look in a book or use the bible!


you probably know who this guy is, but if you don't, he is kind of famous in ministry circles. I heard recently that some 3 million people listen to his messages either online, or on the radio every week. and here I was having a one on one conversation with him about the bible- and he was explaining it, just to me. and while he was talking about greek verbs and bible translations, I thought to myself, "there are three million people who would love to sit where I'm sitting and share in this conversation." and it made me appreciate it- and him, even more. and I couldn't help but smile at how cool the whole thing was.


its been 13- almost 14 years at the church for me. I've seen some good times and some not-so-good times; but these are good days. I really like my boss. the volunteer team for the students are so solid. the students themselves, are super-cool; and I have a lot of freedom to do what I think needs to be done. how cool is that?!


instead of looking back on good days, or looking forward to good days- sometimes its just good to recognize that these are the good days right now.


God is love.
-rev-rob

1 comments:

Cassie Gant said...

Thanks for sharing, Rob. It's always refreshing to hear the positive in the work space and unfortunately, that's not always the norm. This put a smile on my face today!