Monday, March 23, 2015

fred rogers and jeffrey

there are times when I'm tired or frustrated or impatient; and those are not a recipe for good student ministry. sometimes when I feel this way I watch this clip of Fred Rogers connecting with a wheelchair-bound boy named Jeff.


sometimes I like to go through and watch all of the things Fred does RIGHT; and really the things I want to do when I meet with students:

// Fred gives Jeff his full focus.
// Fred refuses to get bored with the conversation or to feel awkward, even when Jeff is not the best conversationalist
// Fred chooses to intentionally bless Jeff
// Fred clearly communicates to Jeff that he likes him- which is the primary question that every middle schooler wants answered from every adult they encounter: "do you like me?"
// Fred smiles, he listens, he encourages and he gives Jeff a moment that he would never forget.

I can't do all of those- and I would never sing a song to a student- but I do want to give them all of these things- and I'm sure you do too-

I want to leave them with a sense that they have had my full attention and concern. I want to leave them with a sense that I like them, and that I believe in them. I want to leave them with a blessing. I was to be the middle-school-pastor version of Fred Rogers. watching this clip puts my head in the game and reminds me to slow down and give students a personal blessing. I saved a photo from this clip and printed it:



I laminated a few and keep one in a few places that i'll see when I'm working with kids. you may not be inspired by fred rogers- but if not him then who? who inspires you to give good ministry to others? maybe you could print their picture and inspire yourself to give it your best in every interaction.

-Rob

0 comments: