Wednesday, May 23, 2018

10 things I'm into right now- may 2018

1. my rocks
I previously wrote about how I was carrying rocks in my pocket- I figured that I could send some rocks to some people I had never met. so I made a bunch of rocks, and now I leave them wherever I go. I hope that just the right person will find them and be encouraged by them. 


2. technology that helps me find things
I just got the tile key-chain for my keys. It helps me find my keys anywhere. I also discovered that my apple watch will make my phone ping so that I can find it when its lost. so helpful! I told a student about it and she responded, "you need that because YOU'RE OLD!" true; but this kid loses her phone at least once every time she is at church.
3. battlebots
we get fired up for this show- it has everything: action, technology, strategy, fire, explosions, collisions- its epic. if you're not familiar with it, teams build robots build to destroy each other. these robots are violent machines and when they clash, its awesome. 

4. forged in fire on the history channel
I'm not sure why I love this show, but I have seen every single episode. 4 blacksmiths take hunks of metal and put them into white hot forges, then they bang them with hammers, then they sharpen them into razor sharp, super-strong knives. these knives are tested by knife-making experts. the 2 finalists then have a week to recreate an iconic sword from history- which is also tested for strength and sharpness by knife making experts. its interesting, exciting, relaxing and educational all at once.


5. cinnamon taffy town salt water taffy
I love salt water taffy. taffy town is the best brand, and cinnamon is my favorite flavor right now. delicious.


6. my dremel
I just got one of these tools. you can do everything with them! you can cut, engrave, sharpen, sand- I was getting my haircut and one of the workers was calling a locksmith because she lost her key to the lock for her locker. I said, "do you need a lock cut? hold on- I've got my dremel in the car!" this is a great tool for wood working, or any kind of home improvement project.


7. rita's 
this place has italian ice, but the frozen custard is out of this world. they just put one in about a mile from my house. so good!


8. the toys that made us
this is a show on netflix that gives the history behind all of the 80's toys like star wars, gi joe, transformers, legos, he-man etc. they do an awesome job talking to all of the creators- I love learning about how things were created and the process behind them. I have seen every episode if this show, and I hope they make many more.


9. comedians in cars getting coffee
I'm a little late to the game on this- but this is a little 15 minute show with jerry seinfeld where he interviews comedians while they get coffee and drive exotic cars. its interesting to listen to these guys talk about hecklers, and getting a crowd's attention, and coming up with new material- sounds a lot like youth ministry! its super short, pretty funny, and fun to watch. some of the guests are funnier than others-


10. the marvel cinematic universe-
when I was a kid, me and my friends used to go to the comic book store once a week and buy the new comic books. then we would go and get a soda, read through one or two, and chat about how fascinating that superheroes are. I remember sitting next to my friends and pulling comic books out of our backpacks at school and having other students look at us like we were crazy. they were like, "what is THAT?" and we would sort of shyly explain comic books, and the stories and the plot lines. 

now- everyone knows those stories and characters- its like we finally won!

I love to talk with friends and students about the marvel movies- it feels like I'm in middle school all over again!


I love all of these things- they aren't for everyone- and they reveal how quirky I can be. they also reveal how little things in life can bring us joy. 

God is love.
-rev-rob





0 comments: