Saturday, April 28, 2007

arrogant-joe04

a frantic phone call came to a handsome youth pastor
it seemed that one of his students was having a disaster
the call came from a student that everyone seemed to know
a student that everyone referred to as ‘arrogant joe.’
the youth pastor said “what’s wrong joe? are you ok?”
joe answered “pastor, I think that I’m falling away!”
the pastor said “to be honest, I kind of had a hunch-
“would you like to talk about this over some lunch?”


at noon, joe and the pastor began eating and chewing
the pastor asked joe “so- how are you doing?”
joe answered “i’ve decided that being good isn’t important to me anymore-
“and so there are lots of new things that I’ve begun to explore-
“for example, I’ve experimented with smoking and drinking-
“and cussing is fun! now I talk without thinking.
“and I’ve met lots of girls and have done lots of kissing-
“let me tell you pastor- you don’t know what you’re missing!”


the pastor said “joe- all of this seems kind of odd-
“just recently we had a long talk about God.”
joe said “pastor- its not that easy to explain-
“no one understands how my heart has felt pain-
“my friends are all worried how this sheep has gone astray-
“but doing these things helps my pain go away.
“and don’t you think I look cooler? rebellious and mean?
“when I smoke I look tough- I look just like james dean!”


“joe” said the pastor in kind and gentle voice-
“you know I love you, but this is a bad choice…”
“pastor- I’ve heard it from all of my friends
“I know this lecture and I know how it ends-
“everyone is judging, while saying they love me-
“why can’t they just accept me, and not try to shove me?”


“well joe, it sounds like you’re doing what you want to do-
“I want to remind you that I love you and God loves you too-
“and God wants to heal that broken part of your heart
“and God wants to be close to you- like you were at the start
“and though you’ve walked away, you can always come back-
“God wants to make white, out of what you have made black.”


“pastor, I’ll come back- I’m just not sure when-
“I’ll get this all out of me and then I’ll be holy again-
“all of these decisions will give me a more dramatic story-
“I will use all of my mistakes in speeches! and give God all the glory.
“its just like your sermon- you know- the prodigal son?
“I’ll come back to God when I’m done having fun.”


the pastor said “joe- be careful, be wise and be smart
“choices like this can leave scars on your heart.
“give me a call if you need to talk or just need a ride.”
then he got into his car and then looked down and sighed.
“God I don’t know if You used me in there-
“just remind joe of your grace and remind him that You care.”
then God whispered a message that couldn’t have been clearer-
“joe thinks I’m far from him, but I’ve never been nearer.”


you may be thinking “arrogant joe- what a FOO!”
but don’t get too prideful- it could happen to you.

0 comments: