Monday, December 10, 2007

church//gym: entry01

so this is the first in what will hopefully become a series of fun blogs about what I’m learning about church by going to a gym- which ironically is at a church.


going to the gym at a church is a trip because everyone is dressed modestly, there is praise music on the speakers, and its closed saturday night for evening service and on sundays.
one time I was in this aerobics class and the instructor introduced himself as the healing minister at the church. he said that before class started that he would ask God to heal anyone that had any aches or pains. he asked me to be ready to catch anyone that fell over when they were healed (since I was the biggest). as I was standing behind people waiting to catch them I thought to myself, “this is definitely NOT 24 hour fitness!”


so I signed up for this gym like a year ago. I went for about 6 months and then I was busy for a few weeks and then just got out of the habit. well, I went shopping for jeans last week and it took me about 2 minutes to decide to renew my membership to the gym.


I had my first work out in a while a few days ago. on my way over I started worrying.
I began to think, “what if people see me and think that I look bad?”
“will they wonder where I’ve been? what should I say?”
“will they be all fit and trim? will I feel dumpy next to them?”
“will the friends that I made a few months ago be there?”
“will they remember me?” “will they be friendly?”
“will everything be different?” “maybe I should just turn around- I’ll go next week!”


and it dawned on me, “I’ve heard this before!”
I sounded like so many people that I have run into who haven’t been to church in a long time.
when I encourage them to come back they give me all of the fears that I expressed:
“what will people think?” “will I know anyone?” “will they accept me?”


well I went to the gym.
I walked through the front door and the young man at the desk smiled and said,
“hey there young man! long time no-see!”
I said, “yeah- this is my first time in a while…”
“good for you! now go get to work!”


that gave me such a boost!
it sounds goofy, but that made me want to come back again soon and give it my all.


what does this teach me about church?
when you see someone that hasn’t been there for a long time, remember that it was a big step for them to come, and that needs to be celebrated with enthusiasm. and a smile, an encouraging word and remembering someone’s face (and even their name) goes very, very far- and can be all that a person needs to get over the hump and make church a habit for themselves all over again.
its so easy to see someone that you haven’t seen for awhile and make a mental note of it, and that’s it.
it could be their last sunday if you don’t welcome them-
but imagine how much they could grow and be encouraged if you do?


“physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.”
-1 tim. 4:8

2 comments:

Jeff M. said...

I got a gym membership a long time ago and I got out of the habit of going too. I thought my membership had expired, but I looked at my credit card bill last week and saw that they're still billing me. I should've noticed this a long time ago because I've probably wasted several hundred dollars on not going, but since it looks like my membership is still valid I think I'm going to start going again. I'm starting to get a dr. pepper belly haha!

Jeff M. said...

P.S.
Very good analogy! I was just listening to a song right before I read this that was about christians looking down on people checking out church if they look different.