Saturday, December 22, 2007

scandalous christmas

how did you react when you hear that Jamie-lynn spears was pregnant?
my first reaction was “wow- her poor mom!”
first brit-brit and now this.


strange timing isn’t it?
the news is buzzing of a teenage girl that is pregnant-
scandal!
her sister denies it.
her management is trying to react-
her mom’s book on parenting is on hold.
there is a boy who says he is the dad-
and we all feel sort of sad and disappointed.
we know that she is going to be a mom!
and her life will change so fast-
and we wonder if she is ready and what kind of mom she will be.


its Christmastime-
it’s the time of year when we remember another scandal-
another teenage pregnancy-
I can only imagine how the gossip channels lit up
when mary’s little village heard that she was pregnant.
I can only imagine how her mother felt-
and how the people of her town must have felt and wondered about her future.
I can only imagine what happened to her reputation.
joseph was convinced that she had cheated on him and was ready to divorce her- which was the gracious thing to do (he could have had her killed!)


how was mary feeling about all of this?
how did she feel about the gossip that was being spread about her
and about her future?
it says right there on the page:


“and mary said:
"my soul glorifies the Lord
and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
for he has been mindful
of the humble state of his servant.
from now on all generations will call me blessed,
for the Mighty One has done great things for me—
holy is his name.”


she wasn’t afraid- she was thrilled.
she was just a teenage girl-
but God was convinced that he could trust her to take care of the child.
she was just a small town girl-
but God knew for certain that she was the best person for the job.
maybe God has more confidence in teenage girls than we do.

1 comments:

Jeff M. said...

I heard jamie-lynn met the boy at church. Those church boys...gotta watch out for them! haha