Friday, October 3, 2008

facebook high school part 2

i was thinking about my post from yesterday and started getting all paranoid. i was thinking, "there is a bunch of people on my facebook friends list that i barely even know! there are people on there that I haven't spoken to in over a decade! and since i've added them, they haven't typed a word to me! not only that, I'm sharing all kinds of things with them: like a link to this blog, and photos of my family, and my struggles with addictions to chocolate and caffeine, and my favorite U2 lyrics! i'm helping them stalk me!"

i was feeling a little too exposed.
so i deleted a bunch of people from facebook.
sorry long-lost friends!
its nothing personal,
if you want to be friends again, let me know.
and if we're still facebook-friends, its because we actually know each other-
or because we have actually interacted online in the last year.
i also cut out my links to other blogs on this site.
i use bloglines to keep up with all of you anyhow.

sounds paranoid
am i just weird?

4 comments:

BJR said...

Rob, you're spot on. I've done the same thing on ocassion. I don't get why people add someone and never say anything. I've always thought that was weird. On my account, no one can even friend request me, until they've at least messaged me. You might think of changing that security feature for futurue "crowdies." :)

Anonymous said...

... and people wonder why I keep anonymous on facebook! Seriously, yes there are people I "know" but don't necessarily want to share every detail with. Well, that and I know of a couple people at work who were "asked" about content posted online! YIKES!!! Ross

Jeff M. said...

I can't tell you how many times I've taken off links to my blog and then put it back and then taken it off again. I'm paranoid too. For now the link is up.

BJR said...

I've literally deleted 80 peeps from my fb account, just in the last couple weeks. Crazy, huh?