Thursday, January 15, 2009

lectio divina:: psalms

i just finished the book of psalms in my personal time of study. 2 psalms that stood out to me were psalm 40 and psalm 116. when i was a new believer, i was a rabid U2 fan. they had a song called 40 that was based on the psalm. it seemed to be the theme song to my life as a teenager. it had a line in it that said, “i will sing a new song.” i didn’t know what it meant at the time, but at the time it was a commitment to rebel against a life apart from God and the hope a new tomorrow. for weeks, i scribbled that line on pages of binder paper and in the dirt wherever i was.


psalm 116 asks “what can I give back to God for the blessings He has poured out on me?” and that seems to be the theme song of my life these days. its strange, but both of those psalms are referenced in this live clip from U2. at the end of the song, bono gives a short homily on the idea of jubilee and God’s heart for the poor.


sing a new song.


1 comments:

BJR said...

I wouldn't have caught his reference to Psalm 116. He mumbles a lot and I can't make him out... but I'm sure glad he does truth-speak.