Tuesday, March 16, 2010

lectio divina:: proverbs

I’m finishing up the book of proverbs in preparation for a series in middle school this summer: the quest for solomon’s treasure. I’ve read proverbs a bunch of times, and when I read it, it sounds fairly familiar. but with my recent study on attitude, I saw an old verse in a new way.



there are 4 different times that proverbs talks about “the quarrelsome wife.” usually I read this and thank god that I don’t live with a quarrelsome wife, and feel sorry with those who do. but this time it sounds a little different. here are the four verses:


Proverbs 19:13
“A foolish son is his father's ruin,
and a quarrelsome wife is like a constant dripping.”


Proverbs 21:19
“Better to live in a desert
than with a quarrelsome and ill-tempered wife.”


Proverbs 25:24
“Better to live on a corner of the roof
than share a house with a quarrelsome wife.”


Proverbs 27:15
“A quarrelsome wife is like
a constant dripping on a rainy day;”


so the quarrelsome wife is like constant dripping- they are annoying- they drive you crazy; and you would rather live in a desert, or on the corner of your roof than spend time with them.


this doesn’t just apply to quarrelsome wives- this applies to a quarrelsome anyone. this applies to people with complaining, bad attitudes. the Bible says what we’ve all known all along- no one wants to be around someone with a bad attitude- they are not likable. complaining drives other people crazy. complaining can be so cathartic, and people may entertain you when you have a bad attitude; but in reality, they would rather be anywhere else than around a complainer.


so a good attitude isn’t just good for the soul, its good for relationships too. I recently read this quote from wayne cordeiro in his book on attitude. he’s from Hawaii and he says that a great attitude is like a Hawaiian lei. when you wear it, everyone you interact with has a pleasant aroma when you are near. and no matter who you’re with, or where you go, everything smells sweet. but when you have a bad attitude, its like wearing a lei made out of dead fish. you stink, and so does everyone else. whether we wear a fragrance or an odor is up to us.


I know some people that smell fishy, and I know some people that smell fragrant; and I want to be fragrant. I want my demeanor to be attractive. it’s a choice.


God is love.
-rev-rob

0 comments: