Thursday, May 20, 2010

schmoozing with angels

last week I was thinking that I could use a mentor. I just wanted an older guy in my life who could kick my butt, or tell me what I’m doing right, or just a guy who I could ask questions to about getting to the next level. I don't know if I was tired or just in a mood, but I specifically remember praying, “God I just wish I knew if I was making a difference.”

Fast forward to last Sunday night: we were at an all-volunteer meeting at church, and I was greeting everyone and making small-talk. I said a lot of, “hey! how are you?!” and “good to see you!”



I saw a guy who I had never seen, but I said, “hey how are you?! good to see you!”
and the guy said to me, “you don’t know me, but my niece is in your youth ministry…"
I was stuck in schmooze-mode so I said, “of that’s awesome! tell her I said hi!”


he looked me right in the eyes and said, “she has been through so many difficult times, but she is growing so much through the middle school ministry here… and I just want you to know that you’re doing a good job; and you are making a difference.”


when he said that last line I did a double-take and said, “what did you just say?” it was like he had been listening in on my prayers- or the One Who listens to my prayers had spoken specifically to him.


he repeated himself, and saw the surprise in my face and said, “can i pray for you right now?”
and he did pray for me- long and loud and right there in front of everyone; but it was a blessing, and I knew it was from God.


I could still use an older youth guy in my life, but I walked away from that moment surprised, encouraged and humbled.


God listens when we pray.


God is love.
-rev-rob


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome Rob! It's so nice to see your prayers being answered. God is good :)

BJR said...

That's so cool!