Thursday, January 3, 2013

which winnie the pooh character am I?

Jane has been watching a lot of winnie the pooh lately- which makes me delighted, because I have always loved those stories and characters (this blog is named after pooh's thoughtful spot). I've written a few blogs about pooh here.

as I have been watching the mvies with her and as I see the characters come on screen, I keep thinking to myself, "oh that's me." so which pooh-bear character am I?

christopher robin?
I have always thought of myself as a Christopher Robin- like this happy introvert who is content to be alone in the hundred acre wood with his thoughts and his toys- christopher robin also enjoys being outside on the trails of the hundred acre wood; he is friendly and helpful to his friends. but who I want to be, and who I actually am most like may be off a bit- christopher robin loves an adventure, and me, not so much.


pooh-bear?
pooh is also a happy introvert who enjoys making up games, and songs and also prefers the company of one other friend, like christopher robin or piglet. pooh is an optimist who always sees the bright side of things; and pooh loves to help someone or to cheer them up. pooh tends to be kind of a glutton when he's around honey- maybe I'm like pooh! I can get a little crazy for sweets, and I do enjoy helping, encouraging, and time spent alone or with one friend-


tigger?
tigger is definitely silly. and he likes to pick on people a bit- especially with his bounces. my family might describe me as tigger- because I do like to be silly around them. some of my student and staff friends might describe me as a tigger too- since I've been known to do a little picking on them. tigger and I also don't like heights or honey. he and I are also under the impression that we are experts at everything. but tigger is definitely an extrovert, has endlesss energy, and can't stand it when he is alone or not the center of attention, so probably not-

owl?
owl has quite a bit to say about just about everything. owl is under the impression that he is brilliant, and that his fun-facts about everything are all fascinating. he often doesn't realize that his many, many words are boring his listeners. I would guess that some of my student-friends might accuse me of being kind of an owl sometimes! I am often guilty of using too many words and am often under the impression that I'm a fascinating genius.


kanga?
kanga is a mom and is very protective of her son roo. she tends to worry about him. she also tends to mother the other characters in the hundred acre wood by giving them advice, help, or encouragement. sometimes her son feels a little smothered by her; and I'm sure that my little-roo has felt the same way about me! as a parent, I can definitely follow a little too closely and worry a bit too much. and I'm often guilty of worrying about the safety and security of my student friends; and of giving them advice that they didn't ask for- maybe I'm a kanga!

eeyore?
now we're getting close. eeyore is gloomy. he kind of mumbles when he talks. he tends to be cynical, and often misplaces his tail. he has kind of low energy. he assumes that no one is interested in him, and can be very pessimistic. and it seems like a lof of his friends work really hard at cherring him up. sadly, there are days when this describes me perfectly. I don't lose my tail, but my keys are another story. I spend a lot of energy fighting off my eeyore tendencies.

piglet?
we're getting warmer. piglet is also an introvert, and he really struggles with anxiety. he's constanly worrying and looking to pooh for reassurance. piglet is also generous and at one point gives away his beloved house to owl. piglet doesn't like rain, wind, or dark forests. me neither. when I see piglet come on the screen and hear his self-doubt, his fear of the unknown and hear the tremble in his voice, I think to myself, "sheesh- he sounds a lot like me sometimes!"

rabbit?
rabbit is also an introvert. he loves working quietly and having everything in order. he gets frustrated when his routine gets messed up. he likes being in charge of things, and is kind of a control freak. he doesn't care much for tigger, because he is loud and messy. he hides when pooh comes over- and doesn't want to share his honey with him! when pooh messes up his routine by getting stuck in his door, rabbit can't wait just to clean up and have everything back to normal. there is a scene where rabbit tries to cure tigger of his bouncing by getting hime lost in the forest, and just ends up getting lost himself- the sounds of the forest end up freaking him out. rabbit does have a softer side and is often glad to help a friend in need. rabbit does have patience, and he tries to make the most of a frustrating situation.

there is a lot of me that's like pooh, kanga, eeyore, piglet, Christopher Robin and owl, but when it comes down to it, I'm a lot like rabbit. I like working by myself. I like routines, I like things organized, and I like it when everything is at peace. I like to be in charge of things, (but hopefully I'm not a control-freak!) and I am guilty of pretending I'm not there when the phone or the door bell rings. sometimes the sound of the forest freaks me out; and I tend to get a little turned around and lost when I'm travelling.

I love these stories and characters- and I'm so glad that my little girl enjoys them too!
being a dad is fun.
-rob

0 comments: