Wednesday, February 13, 2013

I love malibu grill.


there is a sports bar about a mile from my office called the malibu grill- and I love it. I love the atmosphere; I love the food; I love the people who work there. I love talking with people there- whether its a serious conversation, or just catching up or meeting for the first time, its a place where I feel comfortable. I call it my other office- because I'm there so often. when people ask me to go to lunch, they don't even ask where I want to go anymore- they just say, "malibu right?"
here are some memories that come to mind when I think of the malibu grill-

// I was introduced to the grill by my friend Ed- I immediately fell in love with the place, and there were a few weeks where he and I went there almost every day, talking about sports and deepening our friendship.

// one time I rented the place out, and brought all of the middle school volunteers there for dinner. some of my favorite people in one of my favorite places, eating some of my favorite food- just like heaven!

// one time the grill caught on fire and they had to shut down for months to remodel. I remember going by on that day and talking with the owner- my friend Carlos. I was so sad to hear that it was going to be closed down! then one day he actually came by my office and asked me if he could borrow the church's kitchen to fulfill a catering job- of course the church agreed. a few days later, I was walking in the church hallway, and I just stopped in my tracks and thought, "I smell malibu!" and there they were- right there in the kitchen, grilling away. the day after, they treated the church staff to a BBQ lunch. it was beautiful.

// a bunch of kids and leaders from church used to go each week after church to watch football, and eat appetizers. good times!

// last summer, jane and I went to the grill often on our epic 30 day vacation, to watch the olympics, eat food, and talk about things.

// whenever I do my french-fry-fast, the first fries I always eat are from malibu.

// ben and diane had malibu cater their wedding. I officiate the wedding, and when I walked up to the church, I smelled the ribs on the bbq and thought, "this is a holy moment!"

// we had carlos and the gang come out a cater an all student volunteer appreciation dinner. I think I appreciated it more than anyone!

the other night, deanna, jane and I were having dinner at malibu before I spoke at the college group. I asked them, "how many times do you think I've been to the malibu grill?" deanna said, "well, at least twice a week for eleven and a half years!" I figured that's about 1200 times. 1200 times?! here is to 1200 more!

God is love.
-rev-rob

1 comments:

BJR said...

You're crazy!