Saturday, February 2, 2013

mexico story


Last week I drove past the McDonald's in front of Disneyland and it reminded me of this story:

Several years ago I went on a missions trip to build houses in Mexico. My friend Chris was leading the trip, and more than anything, I just wanted to support him and to help the trip run smoothly. My job was to drive the 15 passenger van, and I took that job seriously. I wanted to make sure that whenever Chris needed to move kids with my van, that it would be ready.

On the first morning of the trip, we were all eating breakfast, and Chris shouted out, "5 minutes until we load the vans!" That was my call to action. I cleaned up my breakfast, got my tools, and got in my van. I made sure that the doors were unlocked, the engine was running, and the A/C was blowing. 5 minutes passed. No students. The 10 minutes. My mind started racing. "Where are those kids? We're going to be late? How can I help Chris right now?" So I started honking the horn and shouting out, "LET'S GO! WE'RE BURNING DAYLIGHT! I GOT A HOUSE TO BUILD!"

Well, I couldn't see it, but Chris had called an impromptu prayer meeting with all of the kids on the way to the van. And the meeting was interrupted by my honking and yelling.

You would think that Chris and these kids would have thought this was funny. They didn't. The students came up to my van and shouted, "ROB! We were having a prayer meeting!" Even Chris came by and told me that wasn't cool. How was I supposed to know? I was just being an excellent van driver.

Well, it took a few more honking, yelling, and scolding mornings before I decided to just go with the flow and watch out for these prayer meetings.

Meanwhile, back in San Jose, a dear woman who was loved by many lost her battle with cancer. This news reached our group while we were on our way home.

Chris had us stop for breakfast at the McDonald's across the street from Disneyland. The students were hoping that he was surprising them with a day there, but he wasn't. After breakfast, he shouted out that familiar announcement: "5 minutes until we load the vans!" So I sprang into action. I cleaned up my food, got a refill and got into my van. 5 minutes passed. Then 10. Where were those kids? They were making us late! So I did what I needed to do to support Chris. I honked and yelled.

Another impromptu prayer meeting, and another scolding by the entire group. "What were you guys praying about anyway? We're on our way home!"

One girl snapped back, "we were praying for the dead lady from church!" "What are you praying for her for? SHE'S DEAD! She's with Jesus! She doesn't need your prayers!"

Well, you would think these kids would appreciate some good theology from a pastor, but the ENTIRE van flipped out and yelled, "ROB! HOW DARE YOU say something like that about that dead lady!"

And it was at that moment that I condluded that some people just don't appreciate good theology or efficient van driving.

God is love.
-rev-rob

0 comments: