Monday, April 22, 2013

ken's encouragement:

I have an elderly friend named Ken. He is a class-act. He loves helping kids- he has been telling all of the kids in his neighborhood about jesus for years. years ago, I blogged about how he has told his entire neighborhood about jesus. ken also raises money for a local pro-life charity. he has been doing it for years. when he comes around with his clipboard asking for donations, no one can say no to ken, especially me. a year ago on Christmas day, ken’s wife of 54 years, alma, died. I’ve been a little concerned about him ever since.

yesterday, I was standing out in front of church, greeting the people who were walking in, when up walks ken. he had his clipboard, and was raising money, and of course I was going to say yes to him. I started filling out the form when ken started telling me a story in his unique, warbly voice. he said,


“you know I was at the gym the other day, and I asked the fellow next to me, ‘are you cherishing your wife?’ he didn’t know what I was talking about, so I asked him again, ‘are you cherishing your wife?’”


I was filling out the form, nodding my heard, and monitoring who was coming and going, all at once. he continued the story:


“another guy got on the phone and said to his wife, ‘I’m done. you can come and get me now.’ and I said, ‘you know, you could have said I love you. or thank you. or I appreciate you.’ You know Rob, I’ve been asking all of the married men I know if they cherish their wives…”


I had temporarily forgotten that ken’s wife died a year and a half ago, but then I remembered- oh boy did I remember! he continued:


“you know Rob, alma died a year ago on Christmas. and boy do I miss her. you know I would do just about anything just to hold her hand again and tell her that I love her again. I cherished every moment that I spent with her…all 54 years. you know that feeling when you first fall in love, Rob? I had that feeling for 54 years with alma…”


at this point I was filling out this form as fast as I could just to get out of this conversation with ken before he had me bawling in from of a crowd of middle schoolers. he just looked at me, with complete control over his emotions and said,


“you know Rob, you’ve got to cherish her. every day, you’ve got to cherish her. I tell all of my friends who are married to cherish their wives. I’m just grateful that I had 54 happy years with her, but boy do I miss her. you know, I would give anything just to be with her now and hold her hand again.”


He asked me how long Deanna and I have been married and I told him 17 years (!) and he said, “you’ve got a solid foundation- and its build on the solid rock of jesus.”


this guy was killing me. I just had to change the subject in my mind before I broke down. I shook his hand and thanked him for his encouragement. then I started bugging some of the single staff ladies to give him a call. what more could you ask for in a husband?! he’s got character and faith- they didn’t want to hear it.


anyhow- I’ll just give you the same encouragement that ken gave me: cherish her- or him. we don’t know how long we have together, so enjoy every minute of it.


God is love.

-rev-rob

2 comments:

Adrian {Happy girl} said...

Oh Rob, I'm bawling my eyes out now! Thanks for sharing, but boy did that get me! I cherish Billy every day. I tell him how much I love and appreciate him, and how handsome he is. I make sure we get a goodbye kiss every morning, and a hug every evening, and we hold hands anytime we are near each other. I want to be like Ken and Alma, and look back on 54 years of marriage and know that I cherished it.

Diane said...

Totally crying now :) Good crying.