Wednesday, April 9, 2014

elsa-

so-
we were a little late getting on the frozen bandwagon.
I figured that it was going to be all about princesses and boyfriends, and that's not our thing. but we eventually saw it. we saw it so late that we were one of the only people in the movie theater!



when jane first saw it, she was a mess. the parents died. the sisters were estranged. ana died momentarily. we were convinced that we wouldn't see it again. but eventually we did. and then again, and again. and then the dvd came out and we saw it MANY, MANY more times.

so- when we get on a kick like this, jane usually like to get the toys and act out the scenes in her room. so I went on a hunt for ana and elsa dolls. not big barbie ones, just figures. they were gone. all of them. everywhere.
not a target. not at walmart. not at toys r us. not at the disney store.
through this process I've learned that toys r us gets their shipments in on Tuesdays. if you want a toy really bad, you need to go in right when they open on tuesdays. well- a lot of people apparently know that secret too, because the new toys disappear almost as soon as these places open.
disney store gets their new toys on wednesday. I stood in a long line for almost an hour, but no ana or elsa figures.

finally at one point I got ana- but no elsa. I was starting to think she didn't really exist.

I called a local toy vendor (who will remain nameless) on new toy day, and asked them if they had elsa and they said, "no- but sunnyvale does. they have 6."

sunnyvale is like 30 minutes away. what the heck I figured, and went out there.
I walked in, holding my breath. would I really actually find it?

I was unfamiliar with this store, so it took me awhile to find the frozen section. when I found it, I found ana. no elsa. I grabbed ana and went to the cashier.
"I'm looking for this same toy- except elsa."
the lady said "we're all out. there was a line at the door way before we opened."
my head sunk.
"I came all the way from san jose. they said you had 6."
the lady said, "wait here."

she went into a back room, had a talk with some people, and came out with elsa.


I almost collapsed. I felt a surge of relief and excitedment all over. I couldn't believe that I was actually holding it. I had been searching for months.

the lady told me that she was saving it for someone, but wanted me to have it. she has been where I was- she felt my pain and had pity on me.
she was curious about when I was going to deliver it- she was almost as excited as I was to know that jane would get it.
I thanked her profusely and went online and said lots of nice things about her and her store.
I felt like indiana jones finding a lost treasure.
it was a rush of adrenaline.

I texted the photo above to deanna. jane was going to a new dentist that day and she would need a prize for the bravery that she would surely display.

they came by my office and I gave elsa to jane. she was completely surprised- we had pretty much given up on ever finding elsa.

this morning I was laying in my bed and I could hear jane acting out an epic scene from frozen in her room; and I heard jane's elsa and ana chatting with each other and singing their songs- and it made me feel happy and accomplished.

being a dad is fun.
-rev-rob



0 comments: