Wednesday, March 26, 2014

E.D.A.

about a year ago I blogged a story about my friend Ken who was raising money for a charity, and asked me for a donation while I was at church. I also told how he encouraged me to cherish my wife, as he had lost his wife Alma a few months earlier. He and Alma had been married for 54 years. This has to be Ken's new mission in life, because I often hear of Ken encouraging other men to cherish their wives- and every time he sees me, he asks me how I am cherishing Deanna.

last sunday morning, I was walking out of the church service and into the middle school ministry. the hallways were crowded and I was shuffling through, and there was Ken and his clipboard, a year later-

he said, "rob! can I count on you for a donation?" of course I agreed and started filling out the form on his clipboard; and then (like clockwork!) Ken started asking me about how I was cherishing Deanna. he said,
"you know, Rob, I always ask all of my married friends how they are cherishing their wives..."
(by the way, if you didn't already guess it, Ken is a senior citizen, and when he talks, its very slow and charming)
I saw it coming and said, "yes- you have encouraged me about that before- I really appreciate it..."
he went on to say, "you know, so many men get so convicted when I ask them how they are cherishing their wives- because so many men neglect that part of their lives- you know, we all get so busy with our work and schedules. when alma was alive, I used to forget to cherish her too, so I would remind myself to cherish her by leaving post-it notes around my house that said 'E.D.A.' Every Day Alma. I wanted to remind myself to cherish Alma every day. You know Rob, she used to find my post-it notes around the house and say, 'what's this all about Ken?' and eventually she figured it out. I thought that it bothered her to see those notes around the house, but now that she's gone, I have discovered that she saved my post-it notes in her journals and in her bible and her books. it seems like I'm always finding my old notes that say E.D.A."

at this point, I was just trying to get this form filled out as soon as possible before I burst into tears.

Ken has given this talk to so many men at so many times, that it wasn't emotional for him at all. he just kept on going-
"so Rob- for me it was E.D.A. and I encourage you to cherish your wife every single day. you know Rob, when I get to heaven, the first person I want to see is Jesus. but after that, I'm looking for Alma! I know that there is no marriage in heaven, but I just want to see her again and hang out with her. I can't wait to see her again."

I finished the form, I handed him the clipboard, I thanked him for his encouragement and his friendship and moved on before it could all sink in- I mean, I had to go and talk to a crowd of middle schoolers! I had to hold it together!

but I'll pay Ken's encouragement to me forward to you:
cherish the people in your life. let them know that you love them today. E.D.A- or whatever your loved ones initials are. enjoy every minute of it.

God is love.
-rev-rob

0 comments: