Wednesday, February 7, 2018

chatty-rob

the word that is often used to describe me is quiet. I don't say much. 

but just like anyone, certain topics can really get me chatting- like so much that I notice and I get a little self-conscious about how chatty I'm being- 

here are 10 of the topics that I have recently noticed have got me going on and on- (I have to limit it, because this might be another topic that makes me chatty).

1. organization-

last december, right before I was about to fall asleep, my wife said, "I want to get a desk calendar for my dad for Christmas."

"what kind?" I asked. 
"I don't know" she said.
"moleskine? daily or weekly? monthly? 5x7? 3x5? do you want a section for notes? you can't just start a conversation about calendars and expect me to fall asleep!"

I'm a little too passionate about calendars- and to-do lists- and notepads- and time management- and decluttering.

2. local history-
I can barely ride in the car with my friends without turning into a tour guide. sometimes my friends talk about going hiking a almaden quicksilver park- and I have to restrain myself from talking about mercury, and the gold rush, and the natives, and the miners, and the towns that were originally in that area. and then there is los gatos: if you walk around los gatos with me, you are bound to hear some fun-facts. fun for me at least!

3. otters.

If you know me, you know that I can talk at length about otters- their fur, their impact on the environment, their habits, etc. I can clearly remember several conversation over the last year or two where I was very aware of how long I was talking about otters, and how even though I was aware of it, I couldn't stop.

4. dad-life.

Do yourself a favor: don't ask me a good place to take your kid on a saturday in the bay area. you won't hear the end of it. I love hanging out with my kid and discovering fun places to visit that are made especially for kids- and the bay area is loaded with awesome places to go.

5. star wars

its embarrassing how excited I get to talk about star wars with anyone who will listen!

6. U2

most people know a few U2 songs- not me. I know them all. I have all of their albums- I've seen them dozens of times in all kinds of venues. I love to chat with a U2 fan- when I go to the show, its like being a foreigner and finally coming home to my native country- and everyone there talks like me and has the same experiences as me.

7. youth ministry

I love to hear youth ministry stories- I love to share them. I love to talk with youth workers. I love youth ministry ideas. I love writing youth ministry messages- I love all of it and time flies fast when I'm talking about it.

8. disneyland

I love news about disneyland- and the history of it- I love spending time there. I love the music and the rides and the food. I love the posters and the nostalgia. who doesn't love talking about disneyland?!

9. miniatures

the other day I was at church and my friend said, "rob- my son has a california missions project- where can I get some miniatures and supplies?" and I could feel that she had just opened pandora's box. I tried my best to keep my inner geek in and give her some basic advice. I now have my new blog robsplant.blogspot.com that has some pictures of my miniatures. I love seeing other enthusiasts create things. I just love makers and creatives and their work.

10. everything else

raiders of the lost ark.
 alias (the TV show with jennifer garner).
dr. seuss.
mister rogers.
bible memory.
mary poppins.
california missions.
vasona park.
spider-man.
winnie the pooh.
gold rush.
curse of oak island.
forged in fire (the tv show about making knives).
malibu grill.
dremel tools.
the SF giants.
the golden state warriors.
and blogging!


so many things to geek out on! what about you?

God is love. 
-rev-rob

0 comments: