Sunday, June 10, 2007

twenty-three

this morning in middle school,
i spoke on psalm 23.
i don’t know why i was so emotional,
but i was!
and it was hard to keep back tears
as i spoke about God’s loyal-love for sheep like me.

we were talking about the valley of the shadow of death
and how even when we are there,
we can pass through unafraid,
because we know that we are not alone.
he travels with us.

there was this 13 year old girl in the crowd-
and in her mind, she is smack dab in the middle
of the valley of the shadow of death-
in a time of uncertainty, change and fear.
as i scanned the crowd making my points,
my eyes caught hers
and hers were in tears:
the good kind-
i think that she found herself
in a moment when her circumstances
and the ancient scriptures collided
to form a moment of clarity and encouragement.

again, i almost wept right there.
i’ve preached to thousands,
hundreds, dozens and a few.
i’ve been preaching since high school,
which is a really long time.
but today
i drove away from the church thinking to myself,
“i think that was the high point
of my preaching experience.”

the numbers were down,
parts of the morning were choppy,
but i’ll take it. gladly.

soli deo gloria.

“the LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
he makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
he restores my soul.
he guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.
even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
you prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
surely goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
forever.”


1 comments:

Jeff M. said...

I wish I could've been there! That's awesome though! I think summer psalms is a really good idea.