Sunday, November 4, 2007

underrated

there are a ton of things in our world that are overrated right now-
and a bunch of things that are underrated-
here is my current top 10 list of things that don’t get the attention they deserve:

1. naps- I’m pretty busy- and I have a two-year-old; scoring a nap takes a lot of thought, preparation, and cooperation from my family. but when I do, its GLORIOUS.

2. books- lately it seems that no one wants to read. books are too slow, to heavy- we’d rather skim them or read the synopsis of them in an article. books are worth the time and effort. they build character and stand as little trophies of wisdom on our shelves.

3. A&W- there is a new A&W on bascom that serves their rootbeer in chilled mugs and has a rootbeer tap. the rootbeer just rolls out of the tap slowly. it is the most flavorful soda out there. now if they would just pack it with caffeine it would be perfect.

4. dancing- janie and i dance all the time- its awesome- and fun! but mention that to a guy friend and he looks at you weird. get over yourself! dancing brings up something else that’s underrated:

5. fun music! like stuff from the 80’s, the grease soundtrack, gwen stefani, boy bands, girl bands, disco, huey lewis- its all a blast. it doesn’t make a statement, its not deep or profound or emotional, its just fun and makes me happy. again, dudes think that’s weird. they think its all about metal or rap or country- ew!

6. staying-in- every weekend, janie and I go out on the town and have fun. but this weekend she just wanted to stay home and play in her room with dad. so we dressed up, danced to music, chased each other, made messes, cleaned our messes and stayed in our pajamas. it was a blast for both of us. last night I walked to the mall and saw all the party people dressed to impress, and it all seemed overrated.

7. sparkle- my new thing is to take the long way to my office. I stop by the receptionists desk and get some candy from Margie or Karen and spread some cheer, some smiles, some stories, some sparkle. I stop in the hallway a lot more these days. I don't waste time, but I don't ignore poeple either. there was a time when I was too busy getting stuff done to make the receptionist laugh- now that stressed out, hyper productive vibe just feels overrated. that reminds me of something else that’s underrated:

8. margin- free-time, extra-time. its starting your day ready for an interruption. and when it comes, you’re not angry at it, you welcome it, because you created space for it. but margin is underrated, so we schedule ourselves to the limit- and get mad at red-lights, phone calls, e-mails and drop-ins. we make people feel that we’re too busy for them or that their problems are not as important as our to-do lists. margin gives us the freedom to say yes. yes to that coffee-meeting, that hospital visit, that conversation that went longer than you thought. the work still needs to get done- but if you can work ahead, you can make your product better, and the people around you feel more valued.

9. voice-mail- I can be in a deep, meaningful intense conversation with someone over coffee and they will completely shut off to answer their phone. I’ve been in meetings where people were listening to me share my heart and woundedness and weakness and then just click off when the phone rings. I sit through meetings where people passionately plead their case for something and then just freak out and stop when their crazy-loud cell goes off. voicemail is underrated. most of the time the person calling you would rather talk to your voicemail than talk to you- its faster and to the point. set that thing on silent or vibrate and let that perky outgoing message that you made do its magic. it can wait.

10. morning- there is this sense among some that they have a right to complain, whine, and be a jerk- all because its morning. some people get all offended if you call between 8am and 9am. morning is a great time to be awake, out, and getting stuff done. morning can create tons of margin in the afternoon and evening if you work it right. as I said earlier, naps are underrated, but sleeping in is overrated. get up sleepy heads!

3 comments:

Jeff M. said...

I love all of these things except for A&W. I'm just not a big fan of root beer. I really love naps and margin. Although I need to get better at margin.

Anonymous said...

Rob, I love that list. As an incredibly busy college student i would have to say I have come to appreciate a lot of those things on your list. I think they are all a great practice of the spirtual discipline of slowing(learning about that right now in my disciplish group). There is no need to rush through our days, but instead find the things in life that can make us smile, and spread that to others.

ps-Nsync is definitly underrated in 2007, people should not forget how rad they are ;)

Unknown said...

Hooray for your top 10! I never thought about margins, awesome!