Wednesday, January 30, 2008

church//gym: entry04

I’ve been at the gym just about every morning (except sundays) for about 6 weeks now. each morning I start out with some cardio on the elliptical machine. one morning I was looking at how many strides that I had done, and I thought to myself, “if I really push myself, I can get to 5000 strides!” and I did. and the next day it was 5100; and later it was 5500. each morning I’ve been trying to go farther. some of my gym friends have been a little concerned. yesterday when I finished, my friend connie said, “be careful! if you keep that up you’re gonna burn yourself out!”


today I was going for 6000 steps in 30 minutes. I was stepping pretty fast. there is this really kind older gentleman who is in the gym in the mornings- he was on the machine right next to me.
when I finished, (I only hit 5800) he said to me, “you were going pretty fast there!”
“I was going for 6000 steps.” I said.
“6000 steps? that’s pretty good! you’ll do it.”


encouragement came as easy as exhaling for him- and as naturally.
and since he encouraged me confidently, I really believe that I can do it.


what kind of good could I spread if encouragement fell out of my mouth as quickly, naturally and as easily as it did for my friend at the gym?
what kind of difference would it make if all of us encouraged strangers and friends instinctively?
let’s try it and find out!


“do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.”
-ephesians 4:29

0 comments: