Monday, August 17, 2009

church//gym entry 23

i went to a new gym tonight.


the church//gym just wasn’t working for me. its closed A LOT. (wednesday nights, saturday nights, all day sunday plus every day between 12 and 3). and its pretty far away.
so I signed up at a new gym today.
its closer. and its open all the time, and its not very expensive.
but it is different.


when i walked in tonight, I didn’t know anyone. I didn’t know where the locker room was, and I didn’t know how to use the machines. and it was really crowded. the church//gym had a strict dress code. my new gym doesn’t. as I was exercising, I started thinking about how everything was different- and once again, I was reminded of conversations I’ve had at church.


our church is on the bigger side. people often check it out when their church isn’t working for them anymore. and they often point out all that’s different. they tell me that the music is too loud, or that the crowd is unfriendly, or that its too crowded. I've been told that the church is too big, and that the church is too small; that the music is too new, and that its not new enough. I've been told that the middle school ministry is too wild, and that its not wild enough. guests have noticed that we do communion differently or prayer time differently, or that there isn’t a cross where there should be one. and they can forget that even though the music is different, it’s the same Lord that we sing to. even though the message is different, it’s the same scripture that inspires it; and even though the Lord’s supper is different, it’s the same cross that we celebrate.


I was thinking about that as I exercised tonight. even though my new gym is more crowded, the weights are still heavy. the machines still make me sweat, and my iPod plays the same songs in my ears while I work out. there are actually a lot of things that are different that I’m looking forward to exploring: like new classes and routines. at my old gym, I know everyone; at my new gym, I know no one. but that’s ok. I’ll make new friends, I’m sure. different and new isn’t bad. its just different and new.


I don’t know if you will ever have the need or the desire to investigate a new church; but if you do, focus on what you know, and why you’re there; everything else will come in time. different and new isn’t bad. its just different and new.

0 comments: