Sunday, August 30, 2009

extended leave- part 2

today was my first day back at work after over seven weeks of being out of the office. I barely slept last night. my mind was spinning and rehearsing how the morning might go. when I got into my car I thought to myself, “I’m feeling so happy right now- and hyper!” I was so excited to be back with the middle school ministry staff and students. Over the last few weeks, I have learned and re-learned a few things about myself:

1. I love my family.
Deanna and I celebrated 13 years of marriage over my break. we started dating when we were 17- and we have now been together for over half of our lives. I can’t imagine life any other way.
jane is growing up so fast. she is getting so tall and surprises me every day with her growing vocabulary. she always knows how to get a laugh out of me. it was so great to get some extended time with Deanna and jane.

night ride from rob walter on Vimeo.



2. I love my job.
middle school students are the coolest people in the world. they aren’t too cool to be around adults, and they are so open to learning what the bible says. they were all so gracious in welcoming me back this morning. this morning I was walking through the halls of church and greeting many friends that I haven’t seen in weeks and helping guest find their way- and all along, I could hear the worship band sining, “better is one day in your house than thousands elsewhere…” that line had never sounded truer than in that moment.

3. I’m called to work with middle schoolers.
this was reaffirmed in me at camp. and my passion for working with these students and their families has never been stronger. I hope that I can continue to work with middle schoolers for years and years to come.

4. I’m kind of a work-a-holic.
I spent the first 2 weeks of my break writing future messages. if I wasn’t with jane, I was writing or studying. I also attended several meetings, answered every e-mail and voice-mail. I could have done a lot better at resting, and I think that everyone who knows me knew that I would have a hard time slowing down.

5. solitude replenishes my soul.
I knew this already, but I was reminded of this over my break. even though I cherish times with my family and friends, I don’t mind being by myself. its good for me every now and then to spend a day or so in silence and solitude. I must have logged 50 miles in solo-walks over my break.

6. I like books, but only to a point.
going into my break, I had a stack of books that I wanted to read, and I read them all. when I ran out, I got some more. when I ran out of those, I went to barnes and noble and looked through every single aisle looking for just one book that looked like a good read. I couldn’t find a single one. my eyes were so tired from reading, and the thought of reading an entire book made me feel ill. so I picked up a copy of rolling stone magazine and have been thumbing through it for the last week or so.

7. I live in the best part of the world.
I would have traveled but why? is there better weather somewhere else? is there more for kids in another part of the state? san jose has the best of everything!

the fall is here- and it will be a busy one; but I’m ready for it. thanks again to the (678) staff and paco for not just holding things together, but advancing and growing the ministry in my absence. and thanks to venture for the time off. hopefully I can stick around for another 4 years to enjoy this again!

God is love.
-rev-rob