Tuesday, December 8, 2009

tenderloin story

we’re doing part of our next missions trip in the tenderloin district of san Francisco. so, me and my friends paco and makepa went down there yesterday to meet with the organization that we’re serving. going to the tenderloin is always an experience. there are people everywhere. some are sleeping, some are arguing, some are just yelling and someone who isn’t there. as we drove in, we actually saw a man tapping out the bubbles in his syringe while sitting on the sidewalk in front of a strip club.


we were walking toward the school that we’re serving at when we saw a lady screaming at someone. she was just yelling random phrases at no one. I asked my friends where the school was, and they said that it was right next to her. great. as we got closer, she started yelling at me. she shouted out, “DO YOU KNOW THAT GUY?! DO YOU LIKE HIM?! DO YOU KNOW HIM?!” I got to the door of the school and it was locked. I kind of panicked. she came closer and she had a lighter that she was pointing toward me saying, “DO YOU KNOW HIM?!” I said, “I don’t know who he is!” she yelled out, “YES YOU DO! I’M JANET JACKSON!” finally the door opened and a man inside quickly got us in. he said, “I see you’ve met janet Jackson….”


we told him that we needed to meet a lady named mary; but her office was down the street. when we went out the door again, it started snowing in san Francisco! the man went back inside and called all of the kids out. they were thrilled. but then miss Jackson came back and started yelling at the kids. the adults quickly got the kids back inside…all but one. one kid quickly poked his head out of the door and shouted out, “what-you-doing’-out-of-JAIL-girl?!” I laughed so hard I almost fell over.








it was great to share the snow with those kids and to see how they handled a lady that kind of freaked me out.

1 comments:

Jeff M. said...

Haha! It's always an interesting experience in San Francisco. Especially the tenderloin.