Monday, December 21, 2009

tour story

when i was in high school, my youth pastor’s name was marvin. I loved that guy. I wanted to be just like him. when I graduated high school, I joined his volunteer team. when I went to college, I majored in organizational communication, so that I could be a good youth pastor- just like marvin. after college (and a “no-ministry” first year of marriage) marvin hired me to be an intern. the internship at our old church was a little different that what you usually see these days. it was a full time job, and it involved pursuing a master’s degree. I interned with marvin for 5 years. I did everything with him. we had many, many adventures together. I’m sure I could spend a lot of time and space fondly remembering them all. marvin taught me everything that I know about just about everything- especially youth ministry. in 2001, my internship at the church came to an end. on my last sunday marvin came back to the church to give a speech about me (he had left about a year before I did to pursue another ministry). when it came time for his speech, he got on stage and couldn’t say a word. he was overwhelmed with emotion and decided that he couldn’t give his speech.
as you probably know, I went on to be a youth pastor- and if you knew marvin, you would know just how much I emulate him all the time. we dress alike, carry the same bag, wear the same pen in the same way, and I say a lot of the phrases that he says. we read the same books and care passionately about the same things. we have kept up over the years, but he has never come to my new church. I’ve never invited him. I have always been a little nervous about whether he thought I was doing a good job or something.
a few months ago, marvin called and said that his ministry was going on tour, just like our old ministry used to go on tour. he asked if his group could stay at the church overnight. and it worked out for everyone’s schedule. his group rolled in late last night and I felt like I was transported back in time to when I was in high school, on tour, and running all over the state with my friends and marvin. I showed marvin around the church. I was so proud to show him all of the amazing things that God has blessed our ministry with. this morning, I sat in on marvin’s bible study time that he had with his group. he asked me to introduce myself and after a few words I said, “when I was your age I didn’t know what I wanted to do with my life- until I met marvin. and then I decided that I just wanted to be like him. and I’ve spent the last 8 and a half years being like marvin- and its served me pretty well. it would serve you well as well.” I didn’t expect getting emotional, but I did. (its been happening a lot lately). marvin stopped to pray for me and the ministry and he said something to the effect of, “God, I’m so proud of rob…” and then he just stopped- just like on my last sunday; overcome with emotion again.
I was so good to hear him do a sermon again and to watch him encourage staff and students. it was like coming back to home base for a minute, getting refreshed and reminded what its all about before getting back into the fight. it was like going home again.
we’ve had our moments where we didn’t see eye to eye over the years, but I still love the guy- and I still model much of what I do on the pattern that he has set. I thank God that he gave me a mentor like that. I don’t know where I’d be or what I’d be doing if I hadn’t met him. all that is to say that I come away from our time together very encouraged, and ready for what’s next.
God is love.
-rev-rob

1 comments:

Adrian said...

Rob, thank you once again for stating how good God is in orchestrating our lives to better serve him. I am quite touched, and can feel the warmth and love you have for Marvin, and it makes me emotional too, because you are such a great pastor, leader and empathetic friend. I appreciate you even when you make me cry!