Wednesday, July 21, 2010

jane's hair salon

last night, I was on my way home from work when my cell phone rang. the called ID said it was “HOME.” I thought it was Deanna. I answered and said, “hello?” a little voice on the other line said, “jane’s hair salon, can I help you” I said, “oh hi- I need my haircut. can you help with that?” jane said, “oh this hair salon is just for dolls, sorry. but when you come home you can see the hair salon in my room.”



when I got home, jane showed me the line of dolls in the hallway waiting to get their hair brushed.she had a sign for the door. and inside her room was a little place for a doll to sit and look in the mirror while jane brushed her hair. she was very proud of it.

later on, we went out to run an errand. jane insisted on stopping by our neighbor victoria’s place to tell her about the salon. I didn’t want to bug Victoria, but I thought I would at least see if she was home. we walked by her condo, and she had the door open with the screen closed. she was sitting in her front room with her husband.

jane said, “hi Victoria! did you know I have a hair salon? its open on mondays.” Victoria said, “really? well it is monday, and I think I need my hair done!” jane said, “well its only for dolls.” Victoria said, “well I think I have a doll that needs her hair done.” and she went back into her condo for a few minutes. “where is this going?” I wondered. she returned with a very old box that looked as if it had been saved and preserved for decades. “uh-oh.” I thought. “this is not the kind of doll for a five year old kid…

she opened the box and revealed a vintage doll with all of its original clothes in mint condition. she said, “this was my favorite doll when I was a little girl.” “don’t give it to jane!” I thought in my head. she went on to say, “I lost my favorite doll when I was a little girl, and I searched for it at doll shows for years until I finally found it.” “don’t hand it to jane!” I thought. jane just stood there stunned. Victoria said, “I got this for my grandkids to play with, but they weren’t interested; and its just been sitting on the shelf in a box for years, and it needs some love. I’m looking for a little girl who likes dolls who can show this doll some love.” in a heartbeat jane said, “I like dolls!” “you do?!” said Victoria, “would you take care of my favorite doll?” “SURE!” jane said. “then you can have her.” said Victoria. I was floored. I said, “wow! are you sure Victoria?” “I’m sure.” she replied. we forgot about the errand and ran upstairs to show Deanna. jane got to work on a detailed and thoughtful thank you card that she delivered later on that night. victoria put the card on her refrigerator with the other cards that jane has given her. (she and jane have a very cute friendship going).

I looked the doll up on e-bay and they don’t even have one on there. all they have in the accessories for it. from what I could tell, the doll was made in the early 60’s. it was probably worth a ton, especially in its mint box, and she gave it to jane! maybe she just watched toy story 2. either way, I was blown away by her kindness and generosity.


speaking of toy story, the whole conversation was like the last scene from toy story 3- an older person grew out of their toy and gave it to a child who could appreciate it. this was a gift that lit up jane’s eyes and heart, and I think it lit up victoria’s as well. I think it gave her more joy to see it in jane’s hands than on her shelf.

giving is a cool thing.
so is being a dad.

God is love.
-rev-rob


0 comments: