Monday, April 30, 2012

hero's disciple part 4:: nightwing


NIGHTWING’S STORY:

The story goes that when Robin grew older, he formed a new team of heroes- The Teen Titans. He retired and evolved from being Robin and took on a new persona: Nightwing. As nightwing, Dick Grayson took on a new costume, a new role and defended a new territory. Even though he was no longer working with Batman, he was still very similar. He had his own high-tech crime fighting suit. He worked at night just like his mentor. He flew over the cities and struck fear into his enemies just like his mentor. He had a utility belt and grappling-guns and bat-a-rangs just like his mentor. He develops rivalries with super-villains just like his mentor. His training was complete- he had become just like his mentor. He continued Batman’s crusade against crime in a new city, with a new role; and with all of the training of years spent under the training of his mentor.

PETER’S STORY:

Jesus invited Peter to carry on His work in building the Kingdom of God. at one point Jesus says to Peter in Matthew 16, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”

Jesus invited Peter to step into his Master’s shoes and one day lead the church. He gave Simon a new name: Peter- and a new identity: the Rock- and a new job: to lead the future church.

After Jesus went to the Cross and rose from the dead, Peter and Jesus had another meeting before Jesus ascended into heaven. Jesus said to Peter: “When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?”

 “Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.”
Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you truly love me?”
He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.”
The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Feed my sheep.”

He invited Peter to continue to work that He started.

OUR STORY:

We are not that much different from Nightwing and Peter. Our Master has given us a new identity and a new name: Child of God. He gives us a new role: be an agent of My Kingdom- continue my work. Do what I do. He tells us all in the Great Commission of Matthew 28:

“All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

Our Master tells us to do the things He did. He loved people- and we are to go and love people. He served others, and we are to go and serve others. He made disciples of Jesus, and we are to go and make disciples of Jesus. He taught people the very words of God, and our new role is to go everywhere and tell everyone the Good News of Jesus.

Our Master extends His hand and invites you and me: “continue my work. do as I do. be like Me.”

will you respond to His invitation?
God is love.
rev-rob

0 comments: