Saturday, April 21, 2012

lectio divina:: ephesians 5


I’ve been studying and thinking through the book of Ephesians lately- and there are some interesting phrases in there that make me stop and think. one of them is in the beginning of Ephesians chapter 5: “be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children…”

the other day, a friend of mine called, who I haven’t talked to in awhile. He commented that I seem to have a lot of pictures of me and jane spending time together. I responded like I often do, “oh- she’s an only child- she is the apple of my eye- she is a joy and a delight to me…” and then I subconsciously added, “she is a dearly-loved child…”

jane happened to be on the playground while I was talking to my friend, and after we hung up, I kept thinking of that “dearly-loved-child; dearly-loved-children" as I watched jane skip around the playground- 

paul says that you and me- we are God’s dearly-loved-children.
I’m to Him, what Jane is to me.

You and I, we are the only-child to Him: the apple of His eye- His delight- His joy. a little spoiled, and free to be completely comfortable with Him; we can ask Him for anything, because we know that He loves us so much, that He will say yes. He can’t resist.

We are God’s dearly-loved-children. wow. that’s a thought that you could dwell on forever I suppose-

but then paul says, “be imitators of God as dearly loved children…” I started thinking of the ways that jane imitates Deanna and I. Sometimes I look at her and think, “someone shrunk Deanna!” because she sits and laughs, and talks just like her. jane loves to dress like me, she loves to read like me, and she loves to be doing the things that I am doing. she loves to watch the shows that I watch- sitting right next to me on the same couch. sometimes she imitates things about me that I wish she never even noticed. but she notices and she copies.

and paul seems to says to you and me, “God is your dad- who loves you, and spends time with you and showers you with gifts, so imitate Him! be like Him! love like He loves. be gracious and compassionate just like He is. be forgiving and humble and gentle just like He is with you. love what He loves; love who He loves. walk like He walks, talk like He talks, follow Him around in His footsteps. watch how He works and be just like Him! be a little version of your dad.”

after all, we are dearly loved children. isn’t that the way that all dearly loved children behave?

God is love.
rev-rob

0 comments: