Monday, February 24, 2014

some thoughts on bible memory-

I’m making a new set of verse-cards this morning, and that’s why this topic is on my mind. I hesitate to talk about this stuff because I’m afraid that it comes across as self-righteous or bragging or something- but I’ll try to get over it for the sake of getting these thought in type-

long story short: a few years ago, my friend Mike challenged me to memorize a bible chapter, and I did. then he challenged me to do another, and another, and another. we’re hoping to get the whole new testament into our brains sometime over the next 20 years.

we have all heard sermons about the value of memorizing verses, and I could certainly talk about what this exercise has done for me spiritually and mentally; but that’s not what this post is about- here are all of my tips on HOW to learn your verses:

// get a partner
if I didn’t have Mike to say my verses out loud to, I would have given up a long time ago. if I didn’t know that when he saw me that he wanted to hear them, I would have let this discipline evaporate years ago- or I wouldn’t be that serious about getting the words right. my first bit of advice is to find a partner who wants to memorize a chapter or a short book with you. this would be good if its someone in your bible study group so that you can meet regularly and have that accountability. when you have your partner, pick your text and your speed- Mike and I do one chapter a month, some people want to go faster, others slower.

 
// know how you learn
I personally make flash cards on a ring. I cut my cards so they are the size of a business card and then punch a hole in them. I reinforce the holes with those little circle stickers so the cards will last longer. sometimes you can buy cards pre-cut and pre-punched. I write out each verse on a different card review them. some people listen to the text on audio and say it back. some people just read out of the bible. experiment and do what works for you.


 
// help your brain remember
I use different colored cards for my verses. sometimes I use a different color for each chapter- and when I think of that color, it helps me remember what those verse say. sometimes I will make a short book of the bible with cards of varying shades of a color. my 1 timothy cards are all different shades of yellow. my 2 thessalonians cards are all different shades of purple. this helps to refresh my memory- at least I think it does.

I believe that the act of hand writing these verses also helps to seal these words into your memory.

one of the best ways to help you remember is to say the verses out loud. read them off of a card or page, then say them out loud. as you say it, you will hear patterns and it will become cemented into your mind.

I try to find acronyms in verses- like using the first letter of each word- sometimes it spells something, and that can help you remember. I often use my fingers and hands to help me remember verses- like verse 1 uses my index finger- I try to find a way that the act of pointing can help me remember what verse one says. and verse 2 uses 2 fingers- what gesture can I make with 2 fingers to help me remember verse 2? I try to do that with all of them. I visualize people that verses remind me of; sometimes when I’m memorizing one of paul’s lists I point to different parts of my body, my head, my heart, my feet- whatever helps. the more you practice, the better you’ll get at it.

// review
say your verses out loud often. over and over and over. every single day- at least once. say them in the car; say them in the shower, whisper them before you fall asleep. find opportunities to take a drive and say them all at once. if you don’t review, you’ll forget them quickly.

// don’t quit
I often compare a faith walk like going to the gym. for some people, going to the gym just doesn’t fit into their schedule, and they don’t know how it ever will. but then they start going, and discover that there is time for it after all. at first, going to the gym can be really hard and really frustrating. but the more you do it, the better it gets. it’s the same with bible memory. before I started I was convinced that I would never be able to learn any verses, let alone a lot of them. but I had a friend who wouldn’t let me quit, and now I’m writing a blog telling you that you can do it too. it can be frustrating. I can tell you that I have given myself headaches trying to remember each words of a verse. I have been so frustrated at the apostle paul’s wordiness and love of lists and his habit of naming friends with hard to pronounce names. it can be frustrating, but work at it, and you will learn it. I’m convinced that bible memory is like a muscle that has never been used. once you start using it, you’ll discover that you had an ability all along that was laying dormant. you will also realize that there is quite a lot of bible that you are already familiar with that has been stored into your mind just waiting to be accessed.

so give it a try! find a buddy- make some cards- try to get each verse word-perfect. what do you have to lose? what do you have to gain? how would your life be better if you had the bible swirling around in your head all day long? I’ll let this guy answer:

Blessed is the one
who does not walk in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners take
or sit in the company of mockers,
2 but whose delight is in the law of the Lord,
and who meditates on his law day and night.
3 That person is like a tree planted by streams of water,
which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither—
whatever they do prospers.”

-psalm 1

God is love.
-rev-rob

0 comments: