Friday, February 15, 2008

church//gym: entry 06

how do you learn to work out?
when i go to the gym i see my friend connie dancing around for 15 minutes and then bop around from station to station. i see some guys hit the weights until they are all pumped up and sweaty. i see one lady do every station for two minutes without stopping. who taught them to do this? did anyone?


i’ve been learning by watching others. i see them working out and i think “that looks like a good workout! i’ll try it when they leave.”


today i did my first day of kettlebell class.





oh-my-gosh. i’m in serious pain- like all over. getting down the stairs at the gym was almost as hard as the class. i was the only one in the class- and i had one on one time with the trainer eddie. he led me in the exercises but he also kept correcting me when i was doing them wrong. he motivated me and pushed me farther than i thought i could go.


i’ve been thinking about this along with how we grow spiritually. we could learn all by ourselves by reading. we could watch others at church or in our families and copy what they do-
but if you really want to grow, connect with a “personal trainer,” who can motivate you, push you, correct you” and leave you feeling a little sore, but really great.
how do you grow?


“As iron sharpens iron,
so one man sharpens another.”
-proverbs 27:17

0 comments: