Thursday, February 28, 2008

blackberry//iPhone

so everyone at my work has a blackberry now.



I see them scrolling through them during meetings or reading e-mails at lunch and I think to myself, “I want one of those!” but no, I don’t want to spend that much for a phone-thingy.
anyhow, I’m at youth group last night and I see this 8th grader scrolling through his blackberry!
I said, “is that a blackberry?!” and he said, “well, actually it’s a…” and then he rattled off the make and model number of his phone. I said, “why do YOU have a blackberry?!” and he said, “I NEED IT! you know, I’ve got my e-mail and my phone and I can go on the internet…” I was dumbfounded. I said, “how did you AFFORD a blackberry?!” he said, “my parents got it for me!” of course I asked why and he said,
“because they love me!”
you’ve got to be kidding me.

this is the same kid who doesn’t believe in God but comes to church for his friends and for the girls, and drives the adults nuts.

there is another kid who carries a backpack full of junk like a psp, an iPhone, and another phone that flips around like a butterfly knife. he also drives the adults nuts. his mom shared with me that he considers himself an atheist and only comes to church because its fun and because his friends are there.

why do you need God
when you’ve got a mom and dad
that will buy you whatever you want?

these are the same parents who won’t send their kids on the missions trip because its too expensive and they don’t want their children sleeping on the floor.

PARENTS: YOU’RE SPOILING YOUR CHILDREN AWAY FROM GOD. STOP.

1 comments:

Jeff M. said...

It's a good thing jr highers can access all of the really important emails they get these days!
I swear some people shouldn't have kids...
Someday if I ever have kids, feel free to kick me if I ever spoil my kids like that.