Tuesday, April 15, 2008

church//gym: entry10

:: the other day I walked into the gym and gary was on the elliptical talking to the guy next to him who was also on an elliptical. gary had this guy cracking up. they guy said to gary, “wow! its already been 20 minutes!” gary said, “that’s why I’m always talking to rob or to pam or to connie- because it makes the time go so much faster!”


and that’s true for us who want to grow in Christ- when we try to go at it all by ourselves it can be slow, boring, and just difficult. but if you can do it with a friend, its so much easier.


:: gary was chatting with me and this girl. he shared that he was feeling worn out and tired. the girl next to him said, “I think you need to stretch out more.” he went on about how he doesn’t stretch. then she went on and on about how she loves to stretch and how one time she got up at 5 am to stretch for a whole hour and how stretching is the best. he and I weren’t convinced.


there are always people with advice- who make you feel like you’re not at the level they are at. and they are usually annoying.


:: I’ve been thinking- at what point have you arrived with your health? do you ever? if so, how long does it last? health is a daily maintenance. it’s a way of life- not a destination. its about a journey, not an arrival.


it’s the same for us who want to grow in jesus- or as the theologians call it, “sanctification.” at what point have you made it? do you ever? how long does it last? its not about arriving, its about developing good habits and making good choices every day, every moment. it’s a journey, not a destination.


:: gary and I were talking about our work outs. he was telling me about his crunches, and how he lifts weights- and then he said, “the most important thing is what we’re doing right now- working our hearts (doing cardio). because when your heart is right, then rest of you is right.”


that’ll preach brother.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Toner, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://toner-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.