Friday, April 11, 2008

DMV physical

everyone knows: rob drives a church bus. that requires a class B license with a passenger endorsement. i first got one of these licenses years ago when i was an intern in modesto. back then i drove the church’s 15 passenger vans. when you have a commercial driver’s license, the DMV requires that you have a driver’s physical every 2 years. if you don’t pass, you don’t drive.

these physicals test things like eye-sight, hearing, blood pressure, and they always take a urine sample.
i’ve had these physicals every 2 years for the last two years and e very time it’s a different doctor, with a different standard and way of testing things. and it seems like every year, i barely pass over something strange. one time, this one doctor gave me this weird test to see if i was color blind. i was supposed to see some numbers in a pattern, but for the life of me i couldn’t see half of them.





on several occasions doctors felt that my blood pressure was almost-too-high- and almost didn’t pass me. one time, when i was on the low-carb diet, there was a lot of protein in my pee (duh) and the doctor almost didn’t pass me because they thought i had some bizarre disease.

not only that, I never know what to expect. some doctors give me the gown and tell me to suit up. some get out the rubber gloves (I think just to freak me out). others do neither of these.

today was my test.
so in order to make sure that my blood pressure was low, i avoided salty snacks and caffeine all day- ACK!!!
to make sure that my hearing was good, i chose not to listen to my iPod or loud music in my car.
and to make sure that i could come up with a urine sample, i held it for a LONG TIME.


so when i got to the doctor’s office, i was nervous, under-caffeinated, under-snacked and in need of bathroom. and of course they make you wait forever.

but i passed just fine! it was painless! no rubber gloves. no gowns. no weird eye-tests. and no high blood pressure! i’m healthy! woo-hoo! two more years! so when i got home, i totally downed some iced tea and pretzels. yum.

0 comments: