Monday, September 28, 2009

//2:10

one of the things that’s been unique about me as a youth pastor is the amount of hand-written mail that I send out to students and adults. when the group was much smaller (and I had more time) I used to send a card to every student, every week. now its an all day event just to write a note to each staff person. I always try to write a thank you to every student that visits for the first time. I also like to include a little gift in each envelope; its usually a sticker of our ministry’s logo. students love it, parents love it, and it really helps me to connect names and faces.


last sunday, I was upfront, telling students to fill out their welcome cards and I said, “if this is your first time, make sure to clearly write down your address and I’ll send you a note with some stickers.” a voice rang out: “I want some stickers!”
“no.” I said. “you have to come for the first time to get stickers!”
another voice rang out: “you sent me stickers when my dog died!”
I said, “yeah- how many of you have ever received stickers in the mail from me?”
about a quarter of the room raised their hands.
the other three quarters were furious.
I said, “ok. if you write your address clearly, and you write ‘send me stickers’ on your card, I’ll send you some stickers.”
paco laughed at me and told me that I was going to have to send out 100 cards.
it was only 33.
33 students asked me to write them a letter and give them a sticker.
I knew it was going to take awhile, so I got on it right away.
back when I would send everyone a card, I couldn’t always think of something to say, so I would just personalize Ephesians 2:10 with a student’s name. and I did that today, 33 times.


“Kayla is God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for her to do.”


“Austin is God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for him to do.”


“Sarah is God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for her to do.”


“Jonathan is God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for him to do.”


as I wrote that phrase over and over, it dawned on me how true that statement is; and how God has an amazing dream for every student; and that He has been planning good works for them since before they were born.


and it reminded me of how important parents, and leaders, and ministers are in shepherding students and helping them to uncover the gifts that God has given them; and to help them to say no to the things that would derail His dreams; and to inspire them to keep going, even when its difficult.


so today, I intended to encourage others, but it was me who walked away inspired.
do someone a favor today: write them a handwritten note or card;
I bet you that they’ll keep it for a lot longer than it takes you to write it and send it.


God is love.
-rev-rob

1 comments:

BJR said...

You wrote yours on my heart... thanks for mentoring me all those years ago, Rob.