Saturday, January 16, 2010

lectio divina:: philippians

this year, one of my primary goals is to be known and marked by a good attitude. I think about this often; today I was reading through Philippians, and paul puts on a clinic on having a good attitude.
for context, remember that paul is writing Philippians from a prison cell, awaiting his execution. he has a right to have a bad attitude. instead, he shows what a great attitude really looks like. here are some notes from my journal on this:
people with a great attitude are marked by GRATITUDE.
even in the face of his execution, Paul thanks everyone. he thanks the Philippians, and he thanks God. in verse 1:3 he writes, “Every time I think of you, I give thanks to my God.” people with bad attitudes don’t do that!
people with a great attitude are marked by VERBAL AFFECTION.
paul takes time to personally thank and bless others with his words. in 1:7 he says to the philippians, “So it is right that I should feel as I do about all of you, for you have a special place in my heart.” and in 4:1 he says, “Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stay true to the Lord. I love you and long to see you, dear friends, for you are my joy and the crown I receive for my work.” he also gives some special verbal praise to his friend Timothy. people with bad attitudes don’t do that!
people with a great attitude are marked by FAITH.
even though he was in his darkest hour, paul believed that God was in control of both the presnt and the future, and that God can do anything. in 1:20 he writes, “For I fully expect and hope that I will never be ashamed, but that I will continue to be bold for Christ, as I have been in the past. And I trust that my life will bring honor to Christ, whether I live or die.” and in that famous passage in 4:13 paul says, “For I can do everything through Christ,[c] who gives me strength.”
people with a great attitude are marked by OPTIMISM.
since paull believed that God is in control, he could see the glass as hal full. and he encourages the Philippians to do so as well. in 1:12 he says, “And I want you to know, my dear brothers and sisters, that everything that has happened to me here has helped to spread the Good News.” in other words, his imprisonment is a good thing. even his execution would be a good thing! he says, “But I will rejoice even if I lose my life, pouring it out like a liquid offering to God, just like your faithful service is an offering to God. And I want all of you to share that joy.” and he tells the Philippians to be optimistic, positive and grateful in Philippians 4:4, “Always be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again—rejoice! Let everyone see that you are considerate in all you do.” paul never complains about his situation and he tells the Philippians in 2:14, “Do everything without complaining and arguing, so that no one can criticize you.” (that’s a pretty good verse to memorize if you want to grow in a good attitude!)
people with a great attitude are marked by A FOCUS ON OTHERS.
no one had a better attitude than jesus; and paul says it clearly in chapter 2: “You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had. Though he was God, he did not think of equality with God as something to cling to. Instead, he gave up his divine privileges; he took the humble position of a slave…”
just before that he writes, “Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too.”
people with a bad attitude don’t do that!
but we should.
be others centered. and a person with a big faith.
be a person who genuinely thanks God and others.
and watch how God uses you this year.
God is love.
-rev-rob

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is very inspiring! I want to have a better attitude about a lot of things, I will take these verses to heart this week and try to apply them to my daily situations. Thanks for sharing your insights, Rob, they are really helpful! It was like a mini sermon in a blog for me, and I appreciate it :)