Wednesday, February 3, 2010

attitude::gratitude

I was searching through my old blogs, looking for my chipper story, and I ran across this post from almost 3 years ago. I wrote it after an absolutely awful night in middle school ministry. looking back on that night, I can see that I had a message that I was really proud of; I had a game that I was sure was a winner; but I had very few adults there. also- I had a group of very rebellious middle school boys that seemed to run the show week in and week out.


I compare that night with what I experienced last night. last night I didn't speak at all. the game was pretty good, not legendary. and there was still a group of rebellious boys there; but last night was fabulous. the difference? an incredible team of volunteers. when the boys acted up, I asked one of the many male staff there to go and talk with them and they did- and the boys settled down. even though the game wasn't off the chart crazy, it was still super-fun because of the love and joy that was in the room. and instead of me speaking, each of those awesome small group leaders took a few students and listened to them, prayed with them, and taught them the Bible.


3 years ago I was ready to quit. I was sure that I had nothing to contribute to youth ministry. today- I'm looking forward to years and years of middle school ministry. my passion for this work has never been brighter. and it goes back to those amazing voluteers. tanya came to group, even though she had sharks tickets. I reminded john that he will be inducted into the small group leaders' hall of fame when he enters heaven. we had a brand new staffer come an hour early, just so she could be prepared. we had another brand new adult come out and ask to join the team. I could tell story after story- I'm sure that there were a thousand amazing things that happened that I dodn't even hear about. I walked the halls looking for some rebellious kids to put to work, but in every room I saw groups of students huddled around their leaders, having great conversations. God is good.


I needed to see things with new eyes- and I credit my friend justin for helping me to see the amazing value of having a large staff team. and I thank God for the gift that He has blessed me with in this wonderful group of leaders; and this incredible new paradigm for ministry. I often talk with other youth pastors and I hear them groan with the same tones that I did in that blog three years ago. and I tell them about the awesome team at 678. They never believe it when I tell them how many are on the team, and how skillfully they connect with kids. I really wish and pray that each of these leaders would be blessed like I have been.


so- the next time I think that I'm God's gift to youth ministry, and that I can do it all on my own, and that its all about me, I'll remember the night that we broke a broom off a kid's ankle and remember- that its not about me at all. its about WE.


God is love.
-rev-rob

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

[B]NZBsRus.com[/B]
Skip Slow Downloads Using NZB Files You Can Rapidly Search Movies, PC Games, MP3s, Applications and Download Them @ Accelerated Speeds

[URL=http://www.nzbsrus.com][B]Newsgroup Search[/B][/URL]