Tuesday, February 9, 2010

you are special.

we have been doing the r12 campaign at our church this month- each week, we focus on a different aspect of an r12 Christian. last week, we looked at the fact that an r12 Christian has a sober-self-assessment- or an honest understanding of their spiritual gifts and their weaknesses; they understand how God made them and what is true about them. the core verse is romans 12:3 “For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you.”


I was talking with the middle school ministry last weekend and said something like, ”the point is to not think of yourself as a loser, and not think that you’re all that, just be honest with yourself.” a girl raised her hand in the front row and quietly asked,
“what if thinking that I’m a loser IS being honest with myself?”
time stopped.
God split the heavens and said to me, “you better get this right son.”
it was for this moment that God made me and called me into youth ministry.

time started again. I choked back tears and said:

“you’re not a loser. God has made you special. God loves you. God like to be with you. He calls Himself your Father- and He loves you like a father loves his daughter. You are important. God has a dream for your life that only you can accomplish- you are not a loser. that isn’t true. you are special. you are God’s workmanship- created in Christi Jesus to do good works, which God has prepared in advance for you to do.” and then I went on with my sermon.

this is why I am a youth pastor. to remind middle schoolers that they are loved, they are special, they are important.
you are loved. you are special. you are important. believe that.

God is love.
-rev-rob

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Rob!!

I am reading the Percy Jackson and the Olympians books, and yesterday I received a bit of sober self assessment from one of them. They happened to be talking about hubris, and how it is deadly pride that makes you think you can do things better, even then God, and how it is one of the characters fatal flaws. I related a little too well to that, and figured it has a lot to do with my fear of surrendering, and is one of my weaknesses.

Eye opening learning from a kids book! Think God is telling me I am child like and he is the adult who I should let rule my life instead? ;)

Jeff Mardock said...

That's awesome. That's why you are the sermonator.

Anonymous said...

Спасибо