Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Valentine's Day

last Sunday, I went into “the green room” before the service to pray with the pastors, the singers, and all of the people working during the service. I saw my friend Luba in the green room- she was in there as a choir member. I always enjoy talking with Luba. I walked up to her and said, “Hi Luba! Happy Valentine’s Day!” she said, “yes- this is always a hard day for me- Valentine’s Day and my anniversary.” at that moment I remembered that Luba lost her husband of many years just recently.
I gave her a hug and said, “oh Luba- I’m so sorry…”
she said, “you know, I guess it shouldn’t bother me so much, but I just miss getting that little Valentine’s day card every February that says, “I love you.”
she had tears in her eyes.
I had tears in my eyes.
I said, “Luba! you’re breaking my heart right now!”
she said, “you know, my Alex had a knack for knowing when I wasn’t feeling right and he always knew just how to cheer me up- and he would tell me every day that I was beautiful.”
"He was such a good man.” I said.
she said, “I can’t complain- we have wonderful children who love me and love the Lord…”
and then she looked at me with those welled up eyes banged my chest and said,
“now you make sure that you cherish your family and tell them every day that you love them, because you never know when they will be gone!”
I’m sure that my pastor preached an awesome sermon on Sunday, but I doubt that I heard any of it. I just kept thinking of Luba and the pain of her Valentines’ Day. I tried to tell my friend and my wife about the conversation later on, but I just kept getting all emotional just telling the story.
after church I went to the grocery store to get a few things before I went home to lunch. The cashier looked at my things and said, “a little late for buying a Valentine’s Day card isn’t it?”
I said, “oh- this card isn’t for my wife-
this is for my friend Luba.”
tell the people that you love that you love them.
God is love.
rev-rob

0 comments: