Saturday, December 24, 2011

2011

while I was on my hike yesterday, I worked through my memory verses and then started reflecting on where I was at this time last year, and what kind of year its been.

sadly, I went immediately to the negative and thought about the conflicts, the heartbreaks and the things that went less than perfect this year, and there was quite a few of those-

but then I moved on, and remembered so many wonderful things that happened this year- and I’m going to celebrate those here:

:: as far as family is concerned, we walter’s had a pretty good year. we got to get out to Disneyland, we discovered camping at theKOA, kite-flying, soccer and the beach. jane especially enjoyed going to VBS this summer at the church- and of course, deanna and I love that too.

:: the middle school ministry has been amazing this year. we had some amazing events, some amazing weekend services, we had an amazing midweek program, including our pirates vs. ninjas journey competition; and the staff team has been incredible. we went on this summer camp, elevation, and in my mind, it just doesn’t get much better than that camp. this year we started putting all of our messages on dvd which allowed me to have 3 middle school services, and yet not have to be at all of them- that was pretty cool! we also added 2 new interns, brett and sarah, who have been a huge help.

:: I celebrated 10 years at the church in july, and my friends and family all surprised me with a huge party- that was seriously one of the highlights of my year.

 :: I got to see U2 again, and was directly under the band for a moment:

:: our student ministry built a new student center in our Ranch House- it turned out very well.

:: me and some friends experimented with an off-site, missional youth ministry called AM Fuel which reached quite a few kids before they went to school-

:: I got a couple of new bosses this year who were very influential and helpful to me- the first was named Forrest- that guy knows a lot about everything and was instrumental in helping us get the ranch house and the new interns. I learned much from him. I also got a new boos this year named Tim- who has also been very helpful and encouraging. I’m looking forward to working with him more this year.

 :: and on top of all of that- I lost 50 lbs this year!

this is me last christmas:



and this is me last week:
this year has been full of good and less-than-good- and through it all, there have been some things that have grounded me and helped me to be focused-

:: deanna and jane have been so wonderful this year. after many hard days, I pulled up to my house to see jane’s face peeking out of the window, waiting for me to come home- nothing can steal that joy-

:: my homegroup has been another constant source of support and encouragement-

:: this year, my friendships with my friend Mike O, Bruce and Dave have been a huge encouragement to me.

:: I have been working on memorizing the book of romans all year- and all year long, those ancient words of the apostle paul have been right there with me through it all. I often review my verses while walking along the los gatos creek trail. when I start my day with a walk through nature and with the words of the apostle, I feel like I can handle anything. at one point this year, the following words from romans 8 encouraged me so deeply, that tears ran down my face as I quoted them on a walk:

“What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32 He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? 33 Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. 34 Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? 36 As it is written:
 “For your sake we face death all day long;
we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.”
37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

 when you stop to think about all that was beautiful in the year, all that was ugly gets chased away. 2012 will be even better-
thanks for reading my blogs!

God is love.
-rev-rob

0 comments: