Monday, March 10, 2014

jane and the seniors

I was looking through some old photos and found these pictures and thought I would share the story behind them-

jane and I often go to breakfast together on my days off at mcdonald's. it seems like every time we're there, we see this group of seniors chatting together, drinking coffee, laughing and telling stories. jane has been very curious about these people- who jane always refered to as "the seniors." what are they talking about? why are they there? who is in charge? for weeks, she would sit near them and listen to their stories. there was something about them that she found delightful. she wanted so badly to be friends with them but didn't know how to enter the group- or if she was even allowed to.

every now and then, jane wants something that I'm not very interested in buying for her. usually because its a little too expensive. in those cases, I'll often give her a dare and see how serious she is about getting this new toy. usually I'll dare her to try a food that she has never had before. if she tries it, I'll usually pony up for the toy.

one day we were at mcdonald's and jane was interested in a new toy and I dared her to go and make friends with the seniors. to my surprise, she went for it! she gathered up all of her bravery and went and introduced herself. and they were delighted to meet her. I snapped some quick photos to show deanna:



now whenever we go to mcdonald's in the morning, we always look for the seniors. I always go order breakfast, while jane checks in with her pals and hands out a few hugs. we have learned that they keep a tight schedule: they are there from 8am to 9am only. when we get ready to leave for breakfast, there is always a bit of a rush- we don't want to miss seeing the seniors! a lady named patty seems to run the conversation and shows interest in everyone. (jane is standing next to her in the second photo.) a man named tony always seems to find quarters in jane's ear. sometimes even dollars! I need tony to check MY ears!

recently jane made rainbow loom bracelets for all of her senior friends. she made them red and yellow- mcdonald's colors. she walked in and handed each one of them a bracelet- and again, they were charmed. I usually say hello to them too- and they always marvel at how friendly and confident that jane is. its a fun little aspect of our lives that makes me happy- and proud.

God is love.
-rev-rob


0 comments: