Monday, March 10, 2008

random-rob-thoughts: march 10

:: I saw U23D twice last weekend- and I’m still blown away by it. it is the best use of 3D technology ever. it may be the coolest movie-experience that I’ve ever had.


:: while I was at the movies, I saw a LOT of students that I knew. there was a funny dichotomy between the students who ran up and said hi and the students who saw me, made eye-contact with me, and then turned the other way. I thought about going up to embarrass them, but I decided not to. one of the students saw me wearing my 3D glasses on my head and saw me hanging out with bruce and jeff, and asked, "did you guys just go see hannah montana?"


:: one of my old volunteers left me a voice mail message this weekend apologizing for a conflict that we had over five years ago. I was surprised and extremely blessed by that message.


:: jane and I went to the park twice this weekend. we discovered that if she slides down the slide laying down, it kick up a lot of static electricity and gives us both a big shock when we touch- and she thought that was pretty funny.


:: there is a Christian school that meets at my church. this means that I see a LOT of students each day. one student that stands out over the years is a boy named james. he was totally funny, and he really enjoyed coming to visit me. he also had turrets syndrome, so I could hear him coming from down the hall! when he came in, he had to tap on the door-knobs as he entered. I asked him why and he just said that he had to. it would be easy to make fun of him, but he was such a kind and friendly kid, there is no way that I ever could. I saw him for the first time in like five or six years. I could tell that he had gained more control of his turrets, but it was still there. he was so pumped after going to church. he told me that he was in college and studying to be a special ed teacher. my heart was so warmed by seeing him that I started to tear up- I told him that he would be perfect for that role, and I know that he will be.


:: I’m starting a campus club in a shopping center! I’m teaming up with 2 other youth pastors- we’re renting a store on wednesday mornings for students to come into before school to get a snack and some inspiration- its all coming together and we should start april 2. we could reach 100+ students a week! whoa!


:: just read the story of Joshua and the battle of ai and the sin of achan. here are a few thoughts: 1) leadership isn’t just about being a celebrity- its often about confrontation and hard conversations. 2) the Israelites got over to the promised land, but were not given a license to sin. God noticed achan’s sin, even though it was small. 3) achan’s sin cost him his life, his family’s life, and the lives of many soldiers- our sin never hurts just us. 4) as a leader sometimes there are losses and defeats that are not your fault. they are someone else’s fault, yet you still have to deal with them.


:: I’ve discovered that my daughter cannot be bought or bribed. but if she ever decided to use the potty or go into a bouncey house, i’ll have to pay up on so many bribes that I might just go broke!

1 comments:

Jeff M. said...

That's awesome that you're able to do that thing at the shopping center!