Thursday, June 26, 2008

omg! you're a middle schooler!

so I went to barnes and noble this morning to get a little quiet time before the day got too crazy. I go to order my cinnamon scone and there are 3 old ladies in line in front of me- and they are taking forever. they were like, “I can’t decide what I want to order!”
and in my head I’m like, “omg! you’re middle schoolers!”
so then a 4th old lady comes up to them, cuts in line in front of me and whispers into one old lady’s ear saying, “where are you guys sitting? I want to sit with you!”
and in my head I’m like, “omg! you’re middle schoolers!”
then one of the old ladies slipped another one her barnes and noble rewards card so she could get a discount- sneaky!
just like a middle schooler!
and then thay sat next to me and talk-talk-TALKED! chatty-chatty!
and in my head I’m like, “omg! you’re middle schoolers!”

and it reminded me of how much senior citizens and middle schoolers have in common.
the seniors ministry often calls me to use the church bus and they recently asked, “is there a medical kit in the bus? because we get hurt a lot. we need a lot of band-aids, ice-packs and advil- do you have that?”
and I was like, “I do! because middle schoolers are always getting hurt too!”

middle schoolers and senior citizens are both really flirty with the opposite sex-
and neither set of people are all that sly at it.

both sets of people:
can be cliquey and exclusive,
love to laugh,
love a good story,
make zero-sense sometimes,
are watching their money closely,
LOVE to listen to music,
LOVE to go places with their friends,
are a joy to be around.


so I go to college group the other night-
and being around all of those students made me remember my time as a college minister last summer.
I was interacting with college students
and in my head I’m like, “omg! you’re middle schoolers!”

here is why:
both sets of people:
are going through tons of change,
tend to want more freedom from their parents, but they still want their parents money,
tend to not enjoy homework,
LOVE starbucks,
LOVE the beach,
LOVE the movies,
LOVE videogames,
tend to blow cash on goofy things,
are trying to figure it all out,
tend to take a lot pictures of themselves with their own hands,
are making huge decisions that are affecting the rest of their lives,
tend to be messy,
have a huge heart for the hurting,
have the capacity to change the world; and fast.

so give middle schoolers a break!
maybe you’ve got more in common with a middle schooler than you think.

0 comments: