Wednesday, July 2, 2008

church//gym: entry13

this morning I started a spin class at the gym. it was fun- the instructor is a very cool lady with tons of energy. I was spinning along and enjoying myself, and the other people next to me were moaning and groaning. they were saying, “I’m not used to this!” “I never use these muscles!” “I’m getting sore!” and the instructor just said, “if you want to go to the next level, its not going to be easy. it usually involves something new- and it usually hurts.”


what a great line. especially when it comes to going to the next level spiritually. praying doesn’t hurt, neither does reading your bible. but “if you want to go to the next level, its not going to be easy. it usually involves something new- and it usually hurts.”
what hurts spiritually?
as I was driving home, I was thinking about that.
confessing your sins to a friend hurts.
choosing humility hurts.
serving in a foreign land or with a foreign group of people may not actually hurt, but its hard, and can be scary.
trying something new, like leadership hurts.
apologizing and seeking someone’s forgiveness hurts.
giving sacrificially hurts.
fasting hurts.


all of these things hurt.
but they are a great way to take it to the next level.
we all have the same choice that my friends next to me in spinning class have:
I know it hurts. and I know that this will be great for me, but will I actually do it?
or will I just try it once?
will I just watch others?
like the old saying goes:
no pain, no gain.

0 comments: