Thursday, July 10, 2008

many happy returns

yesterday i turned, (gulp…) 34.
so many of my friends and family wished me a happy birthday, so i didn’t feel that i could do my birthday ritual, which is to hide out under my pillow until the day goes away.
it was nice that so many remembered (thank you, facebook) and had nice things to say,
and i received some very generous gifts, which i’m also grateful for.

we had ideas of spending the day at happy hollow or the boardwalk, but we had been there recently; and its been so hot over here, that the thought of being outside was not very desirable.
so we went to the children’s discovery museum.
it was crowded, but nice and cool inside.
this time jane discovered the stagecoach.



my brother and i used to climb on one just like back in modesto.
that night, we ate at outback, my new favorite restaurant.
(last week, I saw dana stubblefield from the 49ers there- but i left him alone).
when we got home, we had cake and jane helped me blow out candles.

my birthday now has vocational meaning for me as well.
my first day of work at the church was on my birthday.
that was seven years ago now.
most youth pastors last about a year and a half,
and so every birthday i can smile and think,
“another year. i wasn’t cut, and i didn’t quit.”
it’s a little victory, i guess.

anyhow, thank you to all who wished me well and to all who gave me a gift.
that’s so kind.
now i’m glad that the day is over and the attention can shift back off of me!

1 comments:

Jeff M. said...

You should've asked dana to come on as a new youth intern.