Sunday, March 29, 2009

church::gym entry 19

sometimes I go to the gym and I see people in there just chatting with their friends, not working out at all. sometime I can hear them talking and they say, “well- that’s enough for today! better hit the showers!” and I think, “they aren’t even sweaty! did they even work out?” I think that some people think that just going inside the building counts. and they go home with a sense of satisfaction that they did their exercise for the day.


I see this at church too. people hang out in the “fellowship area” and chat. I don’t actually see them in the service, or listening to the message or engaging in worship. do they feel that just going inside the building counts as going to church?


I also see this on easter sunday. a lot of people go to the early service so they can go to church early and get on with their day. the same is true with the gym. people get there at 6am when it opens, do a quick workout, and then leave after 30 minutes- just to get it out of the way. I know that we’re all busy, but if its important, shouldn’t you spend a little time on it?


what counts as going to the gym? what counts as going to church? can you only count it a good workout if you got all sweaty? how do you measure if you made the most out of your trip to church? should we even create a measure for a good visit to church?


I don’t know, but I think that if you’re going to go to the gym, you should at least get your heart pumping and get sweaty. and if you go to church, you should at least listen to the sermon, sing some songs, remember the cross, and slow down long enough to let God speak to your heart.


there are days when I go to the gym and I just don’t feel like it. but I have to say to myself, “if I drove all the way over here, I might as well get in a good workout.” there are days when I’m at church and I just don’t feel like hearing a sermon or making small talk; but if God got me there, He probably has something for me to hear or say or do; and that means that I need to dial in, and get my head in the game.
and that goes for you too.


God is love.
-rev-rob

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good analogy. Ross