Sunday, March 15, 2009

lectio divina:: isaiah 43

i've been reading through isaiah recently-
it was written 700 years before the birth of christ, yet it has so much to say about him.
it refers to him as the "suffering servant," and also "wonderful counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace," and immanuel.


here are 2 prophecies that have been especially comforting:
isaiah 42:1-4 "Look at my servant, whom I strengthen. He is my chosen one, who pleases me. I have put my Spirit upon him. He will bring justice to the nations. He will not shout or raise his voice in public. He will not crush the weakest reed or put out a flickering candle. He will bring justice to all who have been wronged. He will not falter or lose heart until justice prevails throughout the earth. Even distant lands beyond the sea will wait for his instruction."


the new living translation has a footnote that says, "greek version reads: "and his name will be the hope of all the world."
that's an overwhelming thought- that the entire world will find its hope in the name of jesus. the entire world can dream of a better future, and they can discover it in christ.
the footnote points to matthew 12:21 where matthew confirms that this prophecy refers to jesus.


next chapter-
isaiah 43:15-20:
"I am the Lord, your Holy One,
Israel’s Creator and King.
I am the Lord, who opened a way through the waters,
making a dry path through the sea.
I called forth the mighty army of Egypt
with all its chariots and horses.
I drew them beneath the waves, and they drowned,
their lives snuffed out like a smoldering candlewick.
But forget all that—
it is nothing compared to what I am going to do.
For I am about to do something new.
See, I have already begun! Do you not see it?

I will make a pathway through the wilderness.
I will create rivers in the dry wasteland.
The wild animals in the fields will thank me,
the jackals and owls, too,
for giving them water in the desert.
Yes, I will make rivers in the dry wasteland
so my chosen people can be refreshed."


even nature thanks God for the gift of christ-
and the first exodus won't even compare to the second one.
the first exodus freed slaves from opression by making the waters dry-
the second one will free a different kind of slave fromm a different kind of oppression,
and the places and people that were starving for water, will have their thirst quenched by living water.


God is love.
-rev-rob

0 comments: