Saturday, May 2, 2009

80's toys part 2

I mentioned in an earlier post that I was recently reunited with my toys from the 80's. they are going to a children's shelter on monday, in the meantime, jane has been curiously checking them out. she has already been putting her dora-the-explorer doll in an old g.i. joe tank and referring to it as "the green car." she routinely comes up to me asking, "hey dad, can I play with that green car?" in my mind I say, "ITS NOT A GREEN CAR JANE! ITS A WAR MACHINE! AND IT HAS SAVED THE WORLD FROM MANY-AN-EVIL-PLOT BY COBRA." but with my words I gently say, "sure big-kid, just for a few minutes. don't forget its for the boys who need toys."


now she has found the star-wars-ewok-villiage-playset; or as jane calls it, the tree house. dora and her friends go up and down the elevator and play in the treehouse. little does she know that in its hey-day, that playset wasn't a treehouse at all. it was the epicenter of conflict between the empire and the rebel forces.


jane loves playing with those toys. she plays in her room for hours with those toys, inventing adventures with her figures. on one hand, she doesn't understand the original purpose and story behind those toys; and she is technically playing with "boy-toys," but on the other hand, she loves playing with those toys, and I did too. just like janie, I played with those toys for hours when I was a kid, and I invented epic adventures in my imagination too. so in the end, I find it pretty cute. it reminds me that even though her hair is blonde, she still has a lot of me in her. I'm sure that the boys at the shelter will love getting all of the spiderman figures and transformers, but I don't know if I have the heart to take that treehouse away from my girl.

1 comments:

BJR said...

... and what you call the Ewok Village is nothing more than Industrial Light & Magic playing around with the Muir Redwoods. It's all about perspective :)