Thursday, May 7, 2009

"WHY ARE THOSE MICE DRIVING A CAR?!"

on sunday afternoon, i came home from church, grabbed some lunch, and sat down on the couch to watch basketball. jane wandered into the living room and joined me, even though she doesn’t really like sports. a commercial came on, which is always a little scary, because you never know if its going to be for a scary movie or something, but it was this one:



jane thought it was hilarious.
she asked, “DAD! WHY ARE THOSE MICE DRIVING THAT CAR?!”
“i don’t know,” I said.
“DAD! WHY ARE THOSE MICE DRIVING THAT CAR?!”
when the commercial was over, jane said, “dad, can you turn those mice-in-a-car back on?”
“sorry- its over. it was a commercial.”
“but dad- can you turn it back on?”
“I don’t know how.”
“just push the buttons on the remote, and it will come back on!”
“maybe mom knows how to do it.” I said.
“good idea, dad.”
then Janie went to ask Deanna about it.
she didn’t know what she was talking about.
I told her about the commercial and Deanna explained that we couldn’t turn it back on.
then jane took it to a new level. she worked up the tears.
“but (sniff-sniff) mom. I LOVE THOSE MICE!”
“maybe you can find it on the computer,” I said.
and they found it on youtube, and once again, jane was tickled pink.

jane went into her room to play, and I went back to church for a meeting.
I got back a few hours later, and I could tell something was up.
Deanna was a little annoyed, and jane was flat out mad.
“what the matter?” I asked.
Deanna said, “oh, we’re just taking a little break. a little time out. we needed to cool off a bit.”
“what happened?” I asked.
“we have watched that HAMSTER movie a HUMDRED TIMES! I can’t watch it anymore!” said Deanna.
“BUT MOM!” yelled jane,
“Janie, we are done for the day with the movie…”
since I felt semi-responsible for this mess, I decided to help out by changing the subject.

the next day, I was walking out the door and said, “JANE! I HAVE A GREAT IDEA! why don’t you watch that hamster movie?!”
I got the stink-eye from my wife.
and it all started with a commercial…

0 comments: